Options

Finings

Jimbob130Jimbob130 Member Posts: 15
Be added finings to my wine to clear it. But I'm told this will stop fermentation. Can I refer ment the wine to make it fizzy. And how long do I waite before I referment. And what's the best way to do it. Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Adding finings to your wine will clear it and is usually done after fermentation is complete. Fermentation stopper is sometimes used to stop the fermentation before bottling too. If you want to make sparkling wine it is best to follow a recipe for sparkling wine where the process is a bit different to standard wine, it may be worth following a recipe such as from the internet, or there are books on making sparkling wines too
  • Options
    Jimbob130Jimbob130 Member Posts: 15
    This is an elderflower champagne recipe not from a kit fresh picked elderflower so there was a need to add finings. Am just not sure if I can teferment by adding more champagne yeast. ?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Finings will settle yeast suspended in the liquid down to the bottom, but will usually leave a little yeast suspended in the brew. It depends on how much yeast is left, there may be enough to work on the priming sugar you add, you wouldn't usually add more yeast to the bottles. Clearing a brew using finings will make it clearer when drinking, but it can cause problems for the carbonation as some of that suspended yeast is needed to work on the priming sugar