Options

Excited :) On 6th Day of fermenting Red Wine kit.

StuartAStuartA Member Posts: 4
edited February 2015 in Wine Making
Hi all,
Just wanted some opinions on how long to leave the first stage of fermentation.
I got my Kit last Saturday so now on the 6th day and 4.5L is still bubbling every 10-15 secs.
Been sitting around 21°- 23°
I did a Hydro test last night (5th day) and it read 1.009 with an O.G of 1100 (so far 11.94% ABV)?

Some people say its time to rack when it hits 0.995 or 1 bubble every minute.
But what's your opinion on this? Should i check again whence Bubbling is down to 1 per Minute?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    StuartAStuartA Member Posts: 4
    update but another query :)
    Hydrometer reading hit 0.995 on Friday after a week of fermentation.
    Then syphoned into another clean vessel,
    Added the stabiliser and shook shook shook over a few hours until i couldn't feel any gas coming out the lid.
    then added the "ADD BACK", re shook a while then added the KIESELSOL, shook for 10 seconds and left for 20 hours.
    Added the CHITOSAN, swirled it for 10 seconds and left it. That was 20 hours ago.
    I always fully sanitised the items and vessel with VWP,

The thing that concerns me is that i do see an awful lot of sediment and floating bits like small white bits (see attached pic).
    I know it says leave for 24-48 hours but it is supposed to look/be like that after 20 hours?
    Thanks
    Stuart

wine.jpg 114.8K
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The hydro reading sounds nice and low so it was ready for transferring over, you should try to leave as much sediment behind as possible at this stage. Once fully degassed (which is important to help it clear) and the finings added, it can then be left to settle and clear. This can take a few days and varies on temperature etc, but once it has settled and is clear the wine can then be syphoned over into bottles. The finings will help all the suspended particles to clump and sink to the bottom, wien will settle and clear on it's own without this but it would take longer