How to add Orange / Vanilla Flavour to a Chocolate Stout?

ToshTosh Member Posts: 2
I've currently got a (Bulldog) chocolate stout in the fermenting vessel and would love to give it a twist. I've not experimented with kits before, having only made a couple previously. I've been told that ethanol based flavour extracts like those you get for baking would work by putting a couple of teaspoons straight into the fv before bottling, other advice is to late hop with citra (or cascade) leaf or pellets and this will give it a similar but fresher citrus twist and yet another suggestion is to soak dried orange peel or split vanilla pods in vodka and then add before bottling. Has anyone tried anything similar to get Orange and/or Vanilla flavours in their beer. Any ideas tips gratefully welcomed as I am keen to experiment with this brew but don't wanna mess it up :-)

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Tosh, experimenting is a great way to give a brew a twist and make it to your liking, it is a case of experimenting though to get the strength of flavour you're after. You have mentioned some good methods, you can add flavour with an essence for flavouring before bottling, stir it in and this will add flavour. If adding ingredients such as pieces of orange or vanilla pods etc, then this is often best done at the start of or during fermentation so it has chance to infuse and any sugars will also ferment out. As a guide the smaller you can make the flavoured ingredients the better they will impart their flavour, so if adding orange you may decide to grate the peel, and with vanilla if you break up the pods or remove the seeds etc. Sometimes people boil up the ingredients to help release the flavour, orange and vanilla etc, in a little water, it then makes a flavoured tea which could then be added to your brew. This is a similar idea to using hop tea bags, a guide to which is here:

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/82/add-some-flavour-and-aroma-to-your-beer-kit-by-dry-hopping-and-making-hop-tea#latest
  • ToshTosh Member Posts: 2
    Nice one. Thanks for the reply it's appreciated. I'm going to be brewing an IPA next and have already got some Simcoe hops in advance which I want to late hop using your hop tea guide mentioned in your reply. I might just go with the essence/extract option for this porter and see how it turns out.
    Cheers and Beers!!
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We'd love to hear how the brews go, keep us posted!