Slow fermentation 5 days

cafelinhchicafelinhchi Member Posts: 8
edited January 2015 in Beer Brewing
Hi,
I have a question about extreme slow fermentation. I brewed a Heineken clone all grain beer. The grain was 18 lbs of German Pilsner and .5lb German Carafoam. The 18 lbs of grain was the last of a 55lb sack that I bought 13 months ago uncrushed. I crushed the grain on brew day.
The brew day went uneventful with a OG of 1.06 yielding about 11 gallons. Cooled the wort to around 70F, aerated with oxygen for two minutes and added Wyeast #2007 Pilsen Lager yeast. One 5 gallon fermentor starter to ferment about 24 hours later. This fermentor had the bottom wort from brew pot and had lots of hops and garbage in it. The second 5 gallon fermentor did nothing for 3 days. I didn't do anything and was planning to dump it this weekend. Then 5 days after adding yeast it started to ferment. Today on day 6 the fermentation process is going strong, pushing wort through my airlocks.
So my question is, do you think the beer is ok? I have never had fermentation take 5 days to start. I thought the grain may be old but that doesn't explain the first fermentation taking off and the second dormant for days. Off flavors? Should I dump it?
Thanks

Cà phê linh chi

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It is unusual for it to take a few days and then rapidly ferment, if the temperature was cooler then the ferment may be slow and steady, but if it went from nothing to vigorous with no change in temperature this is a little unusual. If it has then fermented nicely and all the signs are normal it is probably a case of completing the brew and sampling, as long as everything is normal at that stage it would be worth bottling/barrelling as usual and hopefully the brew will turn out perfectly well