Options

Flat beer not clearing?

Hi, I've got a problem with the Woodeforde's Nelson's revenge i'm brewing. I started it in a fermenting vessel which I placed in a warming cabinet (built for warming honey) where it was held at a temperature of eighteen degrees. It did ferment quite vigorously for a couple of days before stopping, I gave it a stir and it didn't start again so i transferred it to a pressure barrel adding 85g of sugar and left it in the warming cabinet for another couple of days and then moved it into the house, I left it a couple of weeks to clear however having tried it I've found it to be flat and it doesn't seem to have cleared. I wasn't sure whether to transfer the beer back into the fermenting vessel and add more yeast? or heat the beer again in the pressure barrel (I've got a brew belt) Nathan

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Nathan, once the first fermentation has finished it can be transferred over into the barrel, as you primed it with sugar the carbonation process will begin, keeping it warm for around a week will help it get going, and it will now carbonate and clear as long as the barrel is airtight. The clearing time can really vary, after a week in the warm, try moving it somewhere a few degrees cooler can help to speed this up, and once clear it will be ready to drink. We always advise to leave as long as possible as the flavours continue to improve