Options

toffe apple cider

dave392dave392 Member Posts: 11
hi I am trying toffe apple cider that I found on the wonderful internet
10ltrs apple juice 2lb of honey 2 tins of pears champagne yeast I didn't put in malic acid then put vanilla pod in 2nd fermentation it said og for a 5ltr recipe should be 1.060 and finish at 1.010 but my og was 1.80 and after 5 days is down to1.023 it tastes very sweet but nice does this sound about right any advise would be nice thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It's hard to know with a recipe, but as a guide the reading does still sound quite high, often ciders will finish lower than this and it will also reduce the sweetness if there are any sugars left to ferment out still. We would suggest to give it a little longer and try to keep around 20 degrees C or so, and the hydro reading may well go down further. If it does this may be quite a strong cider though
  • Options
    I intend to leave it at least another 4 to 5 days then check again apparently it should ferment very dry and need back sweetening so fingers crossed will update when done also I was told to condition for at lest 6months to a year would this be ok as reading posts most beers only keep 6months thanks again
  • Options
    With your home made cider it often needs leaving for a good few months to allow the flavours to develop, and it will keep for quite a while, ideally store away from UV light. Cider made from ingredients kits will often be ready sooner, and generally does not need storing for as long as cider you make yourself, if bottled though it will usually keep for at least 6 months to a year, or even longer
  • Options
    Cheers thanks for advise fermenting seems to have stopped at 1006 have bottled it up and it is cardboard box in living room will leave it there for a week then move to cool cupboard in bathroom for couple of months might need to sweeten with apple juice as very dry all gd so far
  • Options
    Excellent, just a case of waiting now and it should produce a nice brew, it can really vary how long they take to condition so if when you try it if the taste is lacking leave it for longer and it will usually improve
  • Options
    Well tried 1 bottle to see how progress is going needs longer to clear but very nice not very toffee apple flavour but a delicious tasting cider and very strong will need to add appleade to drink i think trying another batch will put more vanilla in or maybe pods nxt. Time