Options

St. Peter's golden ale, hints and tips please

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and new to brewing, I'm looking for tips on how to make my St. Peter's golden ale a real good one, I was drinking some very good ones when I visited York a few months ago so I would love this one to get somewhere near.
It's only my second ever brew my first was an extract white beer brew although it did turn out a little bitter for a white, I think I over hopped a little.
Would anyone say it's not a good idea to use tap water, or if it is ok should I boil it off first? I will just add I live in Sweden and the tap water taste super good compared to the uk not any chlorine smell to it at all.
So any tips appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The St Peters range are very popular and make some great beers, usually just tap water is used, it can be left to stand overnight if you have concerns about the water but this is not common practice, the most important thing is to check that everything is nice and clean before use, and then try and keep the brew within the temperature range that the instructions recommend. For the best flavours, once bottled or barrelled it can be sealed up and left away from UV light to carbonate and condition for a good few weeks, the longer the better, as this is when the full flavours will develop and the beer will taste at it's best
  • Options
    GalootGaloot Member Posts: 3
    Hey - my first brew was the St. Peters Golden Ale.

I found that in the early stages after bottling this brew had a bitter after taste (not a pleasant bitter). However the longer it was left the more it mellowed, now after a 3 to 4 months it's a lovely ale.

As for the tap water I've read conflicting reports. I think it depends on the water in your area some what. As HBO say leaving over night gets rid of chlorine but I use half a Campden Tablet (crushed) and this apparently gets rid of any chlorine straigh away.

Hope this helps.

Tim
  • Options
    MancpeteMancpete Member Posts: 9
    I completely agree on the bitter after taste of the golden ale I had the same it didn't taste right, I drank one last night it's been in the bottle for four months and was quite enjoyable. I was wondering if you could change the dry hop you put it to change the Bitterness.