Options

Getting the fizz

alexalex Member Posts: 15
Hi Chaps. It's been a while since I posted. Last years cider technically worked great. However the taste wasn't amazing. So I've tried different apples this year. I've got two demijohns full fermenting away. However one has 20pence sized white patch floating on the top. It doesn't look too mouldy but I fear that's what it is.

If when it has finished it's fermentation I throw in a campden tab to kill it off, how can I get fizz back in the bottle? Of course I'll stop the fermentation process so sugar won't work. Maybe carbonation drops?

Any ideas would be amazing. Thank you!
Alex

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    This is a tricky one, some people insist on campden tablets to ensure there are no problems with fermentation, killing off any wild yeasts, but it can also harm the good yeasts too, if you are concerned it may have a problem then it may be a wise precaution to avoid the batch being ruined. Others say not to use campden tablets and let the natural yeasts ferment. Generally the good yeast gets to work and produces CO2 which then keeps any bad yeasts at bay, a nice quick start to the fermentation at a good warm temperature is important. Adding campden tablets will kill off the yeast and can create a problem with secondary fermentation in the bottles, as you need some yeast left to work on the priming sugar. The priming sugar can be either granulated sugar or in the form of carbonation drops, they do the same job and will dissolve and ferment any priming sugar to produce CO2 and carbonation in the bottles. You could perhaps try adding the campden tablets and leaving for a day or two, then fill the bottles and prime them and see if there is any yeast left suspended in the juice to produce secondary fermentation. 

More info is available from cider making experts such as in books like this;

• Options
    alexalex Member Posts: 15
    Thanks so much guys. As always you're great help. This is my third year now. All my equipment came from your shop and I'm learning each time. Year 1 was a disaster. Year 2 good but the taste wasn't great so I really do want 3rd time lucky.

I may try a campden tab in the demijohn that looks like it's got a touch of mould right before bottling. Let it stand a day then bottle with the sugar and just take my chances. I really want to avoid moldy bottles of bad cider!

Alex
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It can be best to make sure it is not contaminated, what you see may be froth or a patch of foam perhaps, it is best to try and get the juice fermenting as soon after it is pressed as possible, a nice warm temperature helps, and then the yeast should compete with anything which could cause a problem. Often a blend of apples can produce a good cider, and it will really benefit from being stored in the bottles for a few months once finished, ideally in the dark, this is when it will develop it's best flavours usually