Apple Wine

This is an adaptation from a recipe in ‘130 New Winemaking Recipes’ from C.J.J. Berry.

This is a great wine to make this time of year (late Autumn) as there is a glut of apples available.  I grow my own apples and if I don’t have enough, there is a lot on the ground which no one picks up which can also be used (no trespassing though!).

In fact, a mixture of apple varieties is the best.

Saturday 05th October, 2013 – Day One (1)

I have just started this today ( by CouponDropDown" id="_GPLITA_0" style="text-decoration: underline;" href="http://soswinemaking.com/#">steps 1 through to 3) and will continue with steps 4 to 6 next Saturday, 12.

Ingredients

05-10kg (12-24lb)  Mixed apples
1.3kg (3lb)  Sugar
1 Gallon  Water
Yeast and Nutrient
Pectic enzyme (if not using a juicer)

Method

1                     Extract the juice from the apples using a juicer and add both the juice and pulp into a 5 gallon container.  Alternatively, chop/crush the apples into small pieces and add the pectic enzyme.
2                     Add the water and 2 levels teaspoons of granulated yeast and nutrient.
3                     Leave for a week, in a fairly warm place, closely covered, stirring quickly twice a day for a week.
4                     Strain the juice from the pulp.  Press the pulp to get as much of the liquor out as possible.
5                     Measure, and for every gallon add 2.5kg (3lb) of sugar and mix well.
6                     Add a lid with airlock and leave in a warm place.
7                     Rack when it has cleared.
8                     The wine will probably be ready in 6 months.

Saturday 12th October, 2013 – Day Eight (8)

I have now strained the juice from the pulp – what a lovely smell!

The liquor is now just over 2 gallons so I have added 6lb of sugar and placed in a warm place with a proper fitting lid and airlock.

Sunday 13th October, 2013 – Day Nine (9)

Bubbling away nicely.  Temperature keeping steady at 24c.

Tagged:

Comments