Options

Coopers Mexican Cerveza - Target Gravity Reading?

ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21
I am currently brewing the Coopers Mexican Cerveza and wondered what the final gravity reading is that I should be aiming for?

The instructions are a little vague and just say to bottle after "about 6 days" when a couple of consecutive readings are the same but this varies greatly depending on the brewing temperature etc

All previous kits I have brewed have had at least a rough gravity reading to exceed so that fermentation doesn't continue once bottled.

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited April 2015
    Coopers are vague on all their kits, as a general guide kits are often around 1010 kind of area, but if brewing at the temperature they suggest around 6 days will get it nice and low, and then the hydro readings need to be the same for two days in a row, if they change then leave for another day and check again
  • Options
  • Options
    MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    Bottled mine at 1014 and it's perfect :D  Just had a few bottles this weekend.
    Mine going by that reading is 5.2% LOL for a light beer it's pretty strong (and tasty) 

I think people get obsessed with numbers tho, and Coopers are right to say to bottle when you get consistent gravity readings. 
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Anything over 5% is what I was hoping for to be honest but my OG was 1.039 and I have just taken a reading and its currently at 1.012 after 4 days in primary fermentation. This works out to be a disappointing 3.54%, I know it's not ready for bottling yet and will hopefully increase but it's still shy of where I wanted it to be. 

Did you add extra sugar or reduce the batch to maybe 35 pints to get this ABV? Or is there just a chance my hydrometer isn't accurate as I followed the instructions to the letter and even used the recommended coopers brew enhancer. 

Cheers Chris
  • Options
    It may also be that the first reading was for one reason or another a little low, the bottles once primed with sugar will give it a little more too after it secondary ferments
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi Chris, reduced amount to 22 litres and added brew enhancer no1. Also fermented at 22 degrees for 7 days.

You will be surprised it will increase by the time its bottled and left to condition . Would(n't) worry too much :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Lol sorry that should say. Wouldn't worry! (Edit made! HBO)
  • Options
    daveyOWLSdaveyOWLS Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys sorry to jump in but i was just wondering i was bought the wilkos own mexican cerveza to use and my Og reading was 1029,beeing a newby at the time i didnt really give it much thought but now im thinking it must have been a incorrect read surely?
  • Options
    We don't know any details about that range, but that does sound like a low OG reading to start with, sometimes it's because the mixture is not fully mixed in when the reading is taken, etc, presumably a kg of sugar needed to be added to that one
  • Options
    daveyOWLSdaveyOWLS Member Posts: 10
    Yep i just stuck to the instructions.hopefully it turns out ok although i dont see much froth etc and its been 3days., i'm looking forward to getting cracking with one of the new kits i have ordered from you
  • Options
    Not all kits froth too much, it can depend on the yeast and temperature etc, a hydro reading is the best true way of knowing what is happening as it ferments, let us know what you make of the new kits wont you! Cheers
  • Options
    ozzybrewozzybrew Member Posts: 48
    Hi - I was also after a target FG for this kit. It has been at 1012 for three days now so bottling night tonight! What I did notice, which was a bit unusual, was that mu OG was 1060. This was just using 1kg of beer Enhancer with the kit. That appears high - I wonder if i had been a bit lax with taking that initial reading? (i.e. bubbles under the hydro etc).
  • Options
    The reading around 1012 is great and it is ready for bottling, the initial reading does sound high if you only added 1kg of enhancer, it may be a reading error or anomaly, but the final reading is spot on and you should expect an alcohol strength around the 4.5% area as a guide