Options

Just a couple of questions

Hello,

I have been watching some of the videos of the homebrewing and notice a couple of things,

1. The airlocks, what is reason for putting the red caps on top.

2. The yeast, to stir it in or not.

Any info regarding these things greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    The red cap I believe is just to stop dust etc getting in but if you use water in the filter then it didn't really matter imho. Also if you have a vigorous ferment then the red cap get popped off anyway.

To stir or not. That is the question. I hear lots of varying opinions but in the end I do what the kit says as Let's face it they should know what they are taking about :)
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's exactly right, the red cap is just a dust cover, it doesn't matter if you use it or not, just half fill the airlock itself with water. Some kits/yeast say what to do with the yeast, the most important thing is that it comes into contact with the brew so it can get working quickly. Some jst sprinkle on top, others give it a gentle stir, with most yeast you wont go wrong either way, we often give it a gentle stir to ensure contact with the liquid. Some specific yeasts state to re-hydrate on the instructions, with these follow any specific instructions for best results