Options

beer making

do you need to stir your brew up daily , I have made two brews now and both taste of yeast

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    With beer and wine kits the manufacturers do not say to stir them up whilst fermenting, some people do stir them as they believe it helps the yeast work, but the makers do not say it is needed. If a fermentation gets stuck or stops with a gravity reading which is a bit high then often a stir will help it to finish off.

There can be various reasons for flavours in the finished brew, which are worth bearing in mind;

- A yeasty or tangy flavour can be due to any sediment being disturbed and mixed in with the beer when pouring from a bottle or barrel - always pour carefully and leave a little beer behind at the bottom of the vessel to avoid disturbing it
    - Exposure to light can cause off flavours - try and store in a cool dark place or away from direct sunlight and UV/fluorescent tubes etc
    High temperatures and fluctuations in temperature during fermentation can produce off flavours so try and keep the temperature fairly constant
    - Leaving the brew in the primary vessel after fermentation is complete can impart flavours - it is best not to leave the brew in with the dead yeast to avoid this, one fermentation has finished transfer it to bottles or a barrel
    - Ensure everything you use, equipment etc, is well rinsed with clean water after sterilising
  • Options
    vinnielad52vinnielad52 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info , i have made a slatted shelf under the stairs and have a statted heater set ot 70f i did leave the bottles for 7 days befor tranfering to garage,but i am not going to stir brew up when its fermenting.