Options

When to use a Keg?

Hi,

So far in my brewing adventures I have stuck to bottling, but I do have a pressure keg and was wondering if it was feasible to use it?

I only usually drink at weekends and then it's between 3-5 pints (depending what it is of course!) a night. I understand that the keg can naturally re-pressurise but sometimes needs additional CO2 adding. So the question is, would the brew go stale by the time I'd got through 36-40 pints (as this would take at least a month for me to get through it) or would I end up re-pressurising it constantly?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Ash

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Ash, this is hard to say for certain as it varies from brew to brew and on temperature etc. The brew can be stored in the barrel for at least several months so will not go stale, ideally awayfrom direct sunlight, but does need to be kept pressurised. Depending on the brew itself you may need to add additional CO2 to what it naturally produces, the gas needs to be added when the flow slows right down or it trys to suck air in through he tap which is when it will 'glug'. Consumption of a few pints is usually OK, but you may need to add more gas
  • Options
    sine_nominesine_nomine Member Posts: 22
    My experience, using the superior King Kegs with a top tap, is that at your rate of use the keg will stay carbonated almost until the end of the batch. I think you will find that the taste develops even better towards the end, even after a couple of months. These kegs can be purchased from HBO with either a cap with a pin valve (to take the disposable CO2 bulbs) or with an 'S30' valve to take the more economical Hambleton Bard CO2 screw-on cylinders (around £21 but not yet available from HBO), these can be exchanged for a refill when empty (costing about £6).  They last many months.
  • Options
    BobJobBobJob Member Posts: 6
    If one started using a keg for cider, and wanted to take a few pints away for a weekend, would it be ok to fill a few bottles?

How long would it last in the bottles?
  • Options
    This is a common question, it is always best to go from the fermenting vessel into whichever container you will drink it from, there is no reason why you couldn't put some in a barrel, and some in bottles, in any ratio you like, then prime the bottles with sugar and the barrel with enough sugar for the amount of brew you decide to put in there. It is best not to put it all in a barrel, then fill bottles from the barrel when you want them, unless you will drink them very quickly after filling them - much like if you open a shop bought bottle of fizzy drink, it will go flat very quickly. If you bottle straight from the fermenting vessel, 12 months is no problem at all
  • Options
    PattyPatty Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for this information. I am reading up on king Keg / barrel because we have just bought one from here and will be using it in about a week. Phil,

(my hubby) thinks the idea of filling a few bottles and then the barrel is what he will do !

Regards,

Patty
    Cheers,
     Patty :)
  • Options
    hugo093hugo093 Member Posts: 1
    I have just made my first batch of beer using the starter kit. The beer has now been transferred to the barrel and my question is, at what point should I connect the co2 bulb ?
  • Options
    Welcome, once the beer is in your barrel and all sealed up it will now naturally carbonate and pressurise from the priming sugar you added, this will produce enough pressure to allow you to then dispense your brew once it is clear and ready to drink. It varies from brew to brew on how much carbonation is produced, but as the flow begins to slow down or if air begins to be drawn in through the tap, then is the time to inject an 8g CO2 bulb to top the pressure back up.

Some brews need no gas injecting, others may need a few bulbs, just inject some gas as and when the flow slows down