How much brewing sugar to use when bottling

Hi all I've already made a coopers larger kit which came out well but wasn't carbonated enough for me. I used there carbonation drops 1- 1& half per 500ml bottle. I now want to do there Canadian blonde and was wondering how much sugar to use to per 500ml and pint bottles as I think the drop are not worth the money. Many thanks

Comments

• sine_nominesine_nomine Member Posts: 22
    I've never tried it but I presume Cooper's Canadian Blonde is a lager. Lagers are traditionally more carbonated than ales so I would add 2 carbonation drops  as you found your other Cooper's lager too flat. In my view carbonation drops, especially in view of the tiny quantity of sugar that you add to a bottle for secondary fermentation, should taste no different to brew enhancer—I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference. Make sure you allow several weeks for conditioning to take place (lager comes from the German verb 'lagern' — to store).
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Agreed, 2 drops per 500ml bottles for lager will give it good fizz, if using sugar then a good heaped teaspoon for lager. Try and make sure it is stored somewhere warm for a good few days to help the sugar dissolve and secondary fermentation get going, this helps with carbonation, then it can be moved somewhere a few degrees cooler to help it clear. Sometimes wen lacking in carbonation it is because it needs to be stored for longer in the bottles
  • clive24uk1clive24uk1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey thanks for the tips I changed my mind and went for the Mexican cerveza instead. I'm going to try a mix of drops and sugar on this on to see which I like the best. Ill post the outcome soon. One last thing I saw someone on utube use yeast nutrients on this brew and was wondering what it does and if worth using?? Thanks
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Yeast nutrients are used quite commonly in winemaking, yeast and nutrient is available all in one and helps the yeast to get going and ferment well. You will find that beer kits come with a suitable yeast provided by the manufacturer, either in the box or under the lid, etc, and these are designed to be suitable for each particular brew. Nutrients could be added to beers, however with the quality of yeasts available if people want to change it they would sometimes upgrade to a yeast such as a Danstar as these leave a much more compacted sediment in the fermenting vessel and result in a clearer finished brew with less sediment/cloudiness in the bottles