Mexican Cerveza

MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
Hi,
Fancy some light beer to keep in the fridge to quench a thirst! 

Think the cerveza is best? I like Corona etc for this purpose normally. This sounds similar.
What d you think?

Also can I check what needs to be bought please? The kit plus brew enhancer? and I guess the coopers drops for the second fermentation?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    Hi Mreddster!

I have made this kit a few times now (Coopers) and it is seriously good.
    Get the Coopers kit with Coopers brew enhancer 1.
    If you intend to bottle then Coopers carbonation drops work a treat.

I tested this on friends who are into Corona, poured into 2 glasses 1 Corona and one home brew and asked them to pick the best and they all picked mine over the Corona. I now get regular orders for it from them and they refuse to buy Corona anymore...

Let us know how it goes!
  • ChrisAChrisA Member Posts: 21

I am also about to place an order for the Mexican Cerveza today as every review I have read rates it very highly.

Dave: You recommended brew enhancer 1 but HBO recommend number 2. Have you tried both?

• MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    Cheers for the info Dave. Yea it will be the Coopers I buy. Just done a Coopers real ale and it went down well so why change brands :) 

Yea also, why Brew enhancer No1? Like Chris says HBO suggest No2
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2015

Just a quick note on the enhancers - any enhancer will improve the finished result, Coopers themselves suggest enhancer 2 on the tin, but it is not critical. The difference is that Enhancer 1 is generally more suited to lighter beers and lagers, and Enhancer 2 is generally more suited to beers for a fuller, maltier flavour. This is a little confusing as Cerveza is lighter so you would opt for Enhancer 1.

They will both improve the taste, flavour and body, so you wont go wrong with either, as an alternative you could also use Muntons enhancer which will also give improved results, Coopers perhaps intend for the enhancer 2 to give it a bit more flavour

I have used both and got a better result from my friends from using BE 1.
    I enjoyed them equally with both BE 1 and BE 2.
    Its's just personal preference I guess :-)
    Hi Dave, that's good to know as we would usually suggest BE1 for lagers, presumably with BE2 it was a bit maltier? Cheers
    It was maltier and for me a Mexican beer should be refreshing and not too malty! Again all down to personal taste and preference! My next one I am going to try some finishing hops to see what effect they have. This is what I love about home brewing - being able to experiment!!!
    Cheers for all the info guys, really good to hear this stuff before I buy :)   

Second home brew will be on the go soon :D 
    Just a quick question before I place an order.

What type of bottles for thsi lighter beer?  I used the brown PET ones on another brew, will that be best option for this brew? I hear the brown keeps light out and helps beer last longer? 
    The brown PET ones will be fine. If you have a bit of spare dollar knocking about, kicking its heels (not like the economy is up the creek or anything...) then you could try 330ml glass bottles. That is what I used and bought them from JBC Online (google them).

Good luck and enjoy!!
    Cheers for the tip. Did you use clear?

However not sure I can deal with all the bottling lol 330ml will take ages to bottle :D 
    I used brown bottles and yes it was a bit of a mission to bottle!

If you don't already, take alook at a little bottler, they make bottling a piece of cake and so easy and quick, with very little disturbance to the brew in the vessel and no waste;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/little-bottler-complete

Got one attached to my siphon and it does make life much easier!
    edited March 2013
    Yea have little bottler. God send and great invention :)
    Kit arrived today cheers guys :D Can't wait to get it started but work means I have to wait until thurs aaargh LOL  especially as I read the instructions and it says to leave it bottled for 12 weeks before drinking!!!  Hadn't realised it would be so long. Patience? hmmm? what's that then 
    That's the brew started! Can't wait to try it :D 
    Ok update time.

Bottled the brew tonight. Managed to get 40 bottles easily. Mostly the PET plastic ones but have experimented with 12 brown glass bottles :D 
    One thing I noticed tho, using the bottle capper thing I bought from you guys, it seems to dent the caps a little?!  Weird eh? It's the magnet that does it I think. Anyone else noticed that? I'm guessing it makes no difference but just an observation.

Thanks again for all the gear guys, looking forward to tasting this one :) 

Good news, just a case of waiting now! The cappers can make an indent in the caps from where they push down in the middle, don't worry as it won't harm it in any way, we believe it is because the magnet is smaller in diameter than the cap and exerts pressure in a specific point rather than spreading the load a little more evenly, but this does not affect the seal

• Gary1240Gary1240 Member Posts: 42
    I've just bought the Cerveza and It says to use enhancer number 2, as shown earlier on the thread it says either will be good, does that mean use both 1 and 2 or use brewing sugar first then enhancer number 2 on secondary fermentation, thanks
    edited February 2015
    Coopers often suggest to use a brew enhancer instead of sugar, as enhancer contains spray dried malt this gives it more flavour and body. You can use either 1kg of sugar, or instead brewing sugar, or Coopers suggest 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2. Brew Enhancer 1 is not quite as malty as Enhancer 2, but you can use either.
    Often people use brew enhancer for best results, or use sugar instead if wanting to make as cheaply as possible.

If you use more than 1kg of sugar or enhancer to make the brew, then it may alter the flavour and will also increase the alcohol strength.

When priming your barrel or bottles, you can use either sugar or enhancer to prime it, just bear in mind once opened try and use brew enhancer as soon as possible, as it doesn't keep well once opened
  • Gary1240Gary1240 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks, I will go with brewing sugar followed by enhancer 2, I'm going to bottle this brew so I will use the drops I bought from your shop. Thanks again
  • tommoetommoe Member Posts: 1
    my mexican cervasa fermentation was complete approx 48 hours final sg was approx1006 is this ok and can i continue to bottle
    It would be very unusual for it to complete in 48 hours, if it is quite warm then this can make for a fast fermentation. If the reading is nice and low, and 1.006 is, then just be sure that all the fermentation is complete and there are no small bubbles rising through the liquid, if the reading is the same in another 24 hours when you take a hydrometer reading and there are no signs of fermentation then it can be bottled
  • MikeyGMikeyG Member Posts: 21
    when reading the Hydrometer , do you have to leave it in the test sample for a period of time or wait till the bubbles settle and take a reading ??
    The hydrometer should read the current gravity reading, the main thing is that the bubbles or froth on the surface don't stop you from being able to see where the hydrometer stem meets the surface of the liquid. If it does, try to remove the froth or carefully pour the brew into the trial jar to stop it frothing as much, and you should be able to get a reading