first cider brew

hi, i have just finished setting up my first brew of cider but on my thermometer is says that its only at 14 , i have a heater tray on will it affect the fermentation as it started off so low or will it be okay as the temperature rises from the heater tray ?  thanks craig 

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2013
    To get the yeast working quickly ideally the temperature needs to be within the range specified by the manufacturers on the kit, cooler temperatures slow it down and the fermentation will take longer, too cold and it will stop altogether. At 14 degrees it is likely it will just be very slow, but as the temperature increases because of the heater tray it will help it get going. You will probably see signs of fermentation as it gets going, perhaps bubbles, froth, etc, and you can check on it's progress using your hydrometer. The heater trays usually increase the temperature by around 8 or 9 degrees, just keep an eye on the temperature of the brew, if it starts getting too hot you may need to just turn it on say at night only. Let us know how you get on, any questions just ask
  • craigmoon1990craigmoon1990 Member Posts: 2
    it has been on the heater tray and now is a steady 22 - 24 degrees , just checked the brew on the hydrometer and its currently 1.012 , says on the instructions that it needs to be 1.006 so hopefully it will be there soon 
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    that is a good brewing temperature for the cider and you can expect the hydro reading to get down to 1.006 in the next day or two