Options

Bottle beer from the barrel

Hi there

My first brew has finished fermenting and I have read I can now syphon into the barrel or bottle or a bit of both.  My question is whether I can put all into the barrel and at a later date put some in bottles if I decide I want to store some for a longer period.

Thanks

Robin

Comments

• Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    I wouldnt recommend it. By that time there will be no suspended yeast and secondary fermentation would of completed in the barrel, so what you'd put into bottle at a later date would very likely be flat.
  • Options
    RobinGJRobinGJ Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Marko.  What if I decanted some into bottles once the secondary fermentation is complete?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2012
    It is best to transfer straight from the fermenting vessel straight in to wherever the brew will then stay, which can be a barrel or bottles or some in each, and then seal them up with some sugar to prime it and then leave to clear and condition. This is because it needs to clear and carbonate, and be kept airtight once primed, and will allow the brew to settle. If you open the brew or expose it to air, the shelf life will be reduced, much like leaving a beer on the side once opened which would go stale. A brew will store for quite a while in a barrel though, but for the maximum storage we recomend bottles as they are more easily controlled and fully sealed in smaller quantities
  • Options
    MartyMarty Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me what the maximum storage time is in bottles for Simply Ginger Beer?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Marty, the general rule is to keep the bottles away from UV light and fairly cool, and they will usually store for at least 6 to 12 months. We have bottles that store much longer, but that is a good guide