Options

York Brewery Kits back in stock

HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
edited September 2013 in News And Announcements
We are pleased to say that the popular York Brewery premium range of kits is now back in stock after a problem with supplies, and are both available to buy again. Both the 'Terrier Bitter' and the 'Stonewall Bitter' are regarded as some of the best kits on the market, and come with the hop pellets included for adding to the brew to get the taste as good as possible, full details are available here;  
http://www.home-brew-online.com/beer-kits-c1/york-brewery-c17/stonewall-bitter-kit-p214

York Brewery is based very closely to us and is right here in the heart of the City of York, and we are proud to have their beers on sale, for those who want to brew their own version of the great York Brewery beers. Details of the York Brewery can be found on their own website www.york-brewery.co.uk
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LangersLangers Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to brewing..2nd batch..and have the York Brewery Stonewall kit. The kit comes with a bag of spraymalt and the instructions say I have to add that, but then it says I have to add light spraymalt to the bottles. So I have to purchase this separately or take from the spraymalt bag? I understand sugar is a substitute for light spray malt, but the kit clearly says no sugars need be added. Should I buy light spray malt? and if yes - why wasn't this in the kit?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Langers, this is very common with nearly all beer kit ingredients, they are referred to as not needing sugar adding as they come with 3kgs (in some ranges much more) of malt extract or spraymalts included, so to brew them you do not need to add any sugars. With the cheaper '1 tin' kits you do need to add sugar or enhancer/spraymalt, often around 1kg, which then adds to the cost of them. 
    The York Brewery kits need no sugar adding to ferment them, when bottling or barrelling you will need a little something to prime it though, and can use sugar or enhancer/spraymalt - often for beers it is around half a teaspoon per 500ml bottle.

As it is such a small amount to prime the bottles/barrel it wont make too much difference whether you prime with sugar or spraymalt, if you have one or the other to hand we would suggest using that, if you open a bag of spraymalt especially it will need to be well sealed up afterwards and used up before too long. 

There are a new breed of kits now coming on to the market such as 'Festival' and 'Bulldog' which now even come with a bit of priming sugar included, possibly other beer kit manufacturers will follow, although no doubt that would increase prices!
  • Options
    LangersLangers Member Posts: 2
    Really helpful - thanks for taking the time to reply so clearly.