Options

Fermenting Vessel Lid Not Sealed / No Bubbles in Airlock?

Customer_QuestionCustomer_Question Member Posts: 26
edited October 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
1x Beer & Wine Fermenting Vessel 25 Ltr - Beer & Wine Fermenting Bin (Bored Lid - With Grommet)
The first time I have used the fermenting bin and there must be a leak around the lid as with fermenting apples in, with the lid on and sealed, with an airlock in, the only way to vent should be through the airlock but this is stationary and has not moved at all. Other bins that I have the same mix in are bubbling airlocks like mad.

Please can you let me know if there is anything that I can do for this to be sorted, I dont know if a different lid would cure the problem.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The lids for our fermenting vessels are designed to be a good fit. The lids do require firm pressure to correctly fit them, particularly when using them for the first time. There is an audible 'click' when the lid snaps into place correctly. To remove the lid, follow the instructions embossed into the plastic ie. unsnap the rim all the way round and lift off.

When fermenting, the produced CO2 will force it's way out through the airlock (if fitted) or any gap. Occasionally airlocks can have a ridge from when they are manufactured. This ridge can cause the grommet to not seal correctly around the airlock. This can be corrected by smoothing the airlock with a knife.

Any small airleaks can be fixed by applying petroleum jelly to the surfaces. It isn't essential to have a completely sealed vessel when fermenting. Often leaving a lid on the vessel loosely is a preferred option.
  • Options
    masterbrewermasterbrewer Member Posts: 5
    also instead of pushing directly downwards on the lids try to push them outwards and around the ridge of the bucket. Takes alot less effort.