Will the natural fermentation process make the beers “fizzy” so to speak???

Customer_QuestionCustomer_Question Member Posts: 26
edited October 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
I have just purchased a starter kit and two packs of 40 pint Muntons Gold Pilsner & Smugglers bitter to get cracking. I also purchased 2 bags of muntons enhancer.
Q1 – after reading the instructions on the muntons premium gold boxes, it doesnt seem that i need to add any enhancer/sugar unless i bottle the beer? Is this right? I intend to bottle the lagers, but dispense the bitter from the keg…Advice please?
Q2 – i notice on your site that there are CO2 bulbs and pressure valves etc. What is this used for and do i need these? I assume that they add gas to the beers – or will the natural fermentation process make the beers “fizzy” so to speak???
Im brand new to this, but well excited!!!

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Steven, thanks for your recent order. The beer kits that you have bought are 3kg full malt kits which require nothing else adding. The only time that you need to add some sugar (or enhancer) is when you transfer to bottles or keg. You will need to add a small amount of enhancer per bottle, around a teaspoon or around 60g for a barrel (please refer to the instructions for exact details).
    The beer will naturally carbonate in the barrel and if drank within a month or so will probably not need extra carbonation. If left longer or if the beer isn’t carbonated enough for your taste then the CO2 Pack is a good option to add the option of increasing CO2. Hope that helps, any further queries please just ask.