Options

Sterilising Equipment

FXRSFXRS Member Posts: 27
edited January 2012 in Frequently Asked Questions
I am in the process of brewing my first batch of homebrew using a Youngs Lager kit.

It was started last Friday and I intend to leave it till this Friday or Saturday before I start to bottle it. Although I have not yet tasted the brew it definately does smell like lager. That has gotta be a good start. lol

I took a hydrometer reading today and it was 1.002/3 (not that easy to read) and I will take another tomorrow and do a comparison. In the event of tomorrows reading being very similar to todays, is it ok to leave it a few more days?

I intend using bottles and have some 500ml at hand (which contained fizzy water) so the next step is sterilising the bottles and caps, rinsing then drying for which I have a bottle tree. I assume that the bottle tree will also require sterilising? If so, as its a bit on the big side (45 bottles), how should I do this? Once bottled I will store them away somewhere cool for 10 days and then give them a go.

Am I becomming obsessed by cleanliness?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi there, cleanliness is very important in the brewing process, and is the biggest cause of failed brews, but don't get too worried about it, just take reasonable steps to ensure things are cleaned and well rinsed. We bet most people don't clean the bottle drainer trees, although we recommend you give it a wipe down with a cloth rinsed in a sterilised solution and then either rinse off with clean water if possible, or wipe down with a clean wet cloth to remove any sterilising solution. The brew will be fine to be left for a couple of days and bottle at the weekend. It sounds like your lager is coming on well, just bear in mind that whilst the lager will be drinkable after the manufacturers recommended timescales, we always recommend to leave as long as possible to improve, give it a try after the 10 days, but if you can, leave it a few more weeks in the bottle and the flavours usually improve
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for your response.

I have never heard of sterile wipes but will make a point of tracking them down. In the meantime I managed to get the tree in to the dishwasher and at least now it is surface clean.

Regarding the point where I give the beer a go, what I will do is stagger the consumption (no pun intended) of the bottled beers over a period of weeks and gauge the point when it tastes best. That in itself may be quite a challenge!! I suppose its all a learning process.

I'll let you know.
  • Options
    just make a solution of warm water and a steriliser (such as VWP) and wash/wipe with that would be fine, but the dishwasher is a perfect solution so just keep doing that, it also gives it a good rinse. Just bear in mind plastic PET bottles can often warp due to the heat, so they are usually best washed by hand. Keep us posted on the results, it can be a challenge to wait to drink it we know, and we look forward to hearing how you get on....
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks again for your response.

In the end I got a container big enough to get the base in so the tree is now cleaned as are the bottles which now hang from it. I intend to leave the bottles on the tree over night and begin bottleing tomorrow. Is leaving the bottles overnight ok? I want to make sure they are as dry as possible.
  • Options
    leaving them overnight is fine, should give them time to dry properly. It might be that when sterilising your 25 litre fermenting vessel the tree parts could be washed in there, using the same one batch of sterilising solution. The base is not as critical though as it doesn't come into contact with the bottles. Enjoy your bottling at the weekend, next stage - sampling!
  • Options
    sullysully Member Posts: 2
    The instructions for my CO2 injector valve for the lid of my pressure barrel state not to use sodium metabisulphate to sterilise it or damage will be caused. Is it ok to use VWP? There's no mention of sodium metabisulphate on the VWP tub, but I want to be sure I'm not going to wreck my equipment.

I've also got some steriliser made from sodium percarbonate - Would that be safe to use?

Thanks.
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Hi sully. I use vwp on mine and its been fine for about 20 brews or so now. Just make sure to give it a good rinse after and dry it of. Not sure about  sodium percarbonate sorry.
  • Options
    GerryGerry Member Posts: 10
     Hi,  
          I have been brewing Coopers products since 1974 when the product was bought in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. You could still some of the hops still moving around inside the plastic bag. The only thing I have used for sterilizing my bottles and brewing container is household bleach. Then two rinses out and left to dry naturally. In fact my brewing bin was given a cupful of bleach yesterday then topped up with water and it is outside the back door at this time. Later I will throw the contents of my brewer away ,give it a good spray out with the hose pipe and then let it dry out, put the lid on, which has had the same treatment and put it away with a cover on the top of it ,ready for the next time.Bleach is cheaper than all these commercial products and does the job as good.
  • Options
    Everyone has their own way and preferred cleaner so do what you know works for you, as long as everything is clean and well rinsed that's the main thing, just with regard to the VWP coming into contact with CO2 injector valves, it is unlikely to do any harm if briefly cleaned with it and rinsed well, and there are no reports of any problems, if preferred give it a good soak in clean warm water
  • Options
    Mikehunt124Mikehunt124 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

I'm coming round to making my second batch of home brew and was cleaning my fermentation vessel and equipment. But no matter much I tried the smell of the previous beer would not go away and I can't seem to make it 100% clean. I was thinking about maybe putting it in the dishwasher but I'm afraid i might damage the temperature reader on it (also would I use a detergent or just let the water clean it?)
  • Options
    They are PET plastic usually so should clean up well as long as they are not scratched, you could try soaking in a solution of warm water and VWP steriliser to see if that will clean it up. Odours from previous brews can linger in vessels and barrels, as long as it is slight then more than likely this will not affect your next brew
  • Options
    milenko6980milenko6980 Member Posts: 3
    I just wash mine out with warm water and then sanitise With starsan  who cares if it still smells of beer your gonna put more beer in it anyway! 
    Hope this helps 
  • Options
    Freddy1953Freddy1953 Member Posts: 8
    Hi , I am new to home brewing and was reading about sterilization and was wondering if it is o.k.to leave my equipment soaking in a solution of sterilizer between batches rather than doing it just before i use it .
  • Options
    It is usually best to sterilise just before use and then rinse well to ensure it is clean, with the steriliser being a chemical it is probably best not to leave your brewing equipment stood in it for long periods of time, and just use as directed on the tub. We would advise against soaking for a long time and to clean all equipment just before use
  • Options
    Freddy1953Freddy1953 Member Posts: 8
    Many thanks , will follow your advice , once again many thanks .
  • Options
    118290118290 Member Posts: 2
    im new to home brew is milton fluid a good cleaner as it used for babyproducts
  • Options
    This is the official reply from Milton when one of the forum users asked them and kindly posted it on here;

I have checked with the manufacturer and can confirm that Milton tablets
    and solutions can be used to sterilise home brew equipment.
    The recommended dilution is 30ml of Milton (liquid) - 5l cold water,
    leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse out.
    Please note that Milton should not be used on metals on a regular basis
    as it can corrode metal.

• Options
    TheMoodieBrewsTheMoodieBrews Member Posts: 32
    As a caterer I already have some sanitising equipment but nothing especially made for brewing equipment. The stuff I use for my kitchen and equipment is CleanPro+ disinfectant detergent multi surface sanitiser. Has anyone used this? is it suitable? Looking forward to hearing anyones thoughts/suggestions
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    There are many cleaning products available and some will be OK to use as long as they are food safe, one thing to bear in mind is that if it has any kind of scent or aroma to it this may impart flavour into the brew. There are specific cleaners for home brewers including VWP and the no-rinse BrewSafe that are intended for use by home brewers and are known to perform, if using alternatives just be sure they are food safe, that they will eliminate contaminants and ensure a thorough clean, and have no residue or aftertaste to ensure your brew is not ruined
  • Options
    TheMoodieBrewsTheMoodieBrews Member Posts: 32