Muntons Hand Crafted Belgian Style Ale

I’m just about to start the above kit, in the instructions it doesn’t say anything about adding any priming agent before bottling but tells me to add ‘yeast lees’ to the second ferment and then bottle as normal when the sg remains constant below 1.06. Surely this would be flat? Am I just being stupid or am I missing something key here?

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi GaryW, for the Muntons Hand Crafted Belgian Style Ale the instructions are unusual for this one, if you allow the fermentation in the second vessel to ferment out the added spraymalt until the readings wont go any lower, then this would usually mean there are no sugars left in the brew to create any carbonation in the bottles.

We haven't made this exact brew but if the beer has fully finished fermenting before bottling then we think you would need to add a little sugar (a teaspoon) or a carbonation drop to each 500ml bottle, if there are no fermentable sugars in the bottles then it would be flat.

We suspect by them saying 'Then just bottle or keg as normal' that they probably mean you should then go ahead and transfer to each bottle, and prime it as you normally would - but for some reason they haven't been as clear as on the other beer styles on the enclosed leaflet - maybe because it would not have fitted on the page?
  • GaryWGaryW Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your reply guys. That’s really helpful. It’s what I assumed but I didn’t want to just plough ahead and make it just in case. I just needed it confirmed by someone more experienced than me. Thank you.
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Not a problem, you are very welcome. We read the instructions the same way as you did and it made it sound as though it needed no priming, when the next brewers ask we will know exactly what they mean now! Let us know what you think to it once ready to sample