Options

Steriliser for bottles

dc.gracedc.grace Member Posts: 13
I use the Home Brew Online Bottle Rinser along with the bottle drainer tree for sterilising my bottles. I would like to use VWP to sterilise my bottles, but it is a no rinse and that would mean using the bottle rinser to sterilise and then again to rinse. Would I get a thorough rinse by using the bottle rinser? I understand that VWP requires a really serious rinse.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi, most people use a no-rinse sanitiser such as Brew Safe if using a bottle rinser, but if your bottles need a more thorough clean and you prefer to use a steriliser such as VWP then as you say this must be rinsed off afterwards. After cleaning with VWP you could then use clean water in the rinser and re-rinse the bottles, just ensure you use plenty of clean water to remove the VWP residue
  • Options
    dc.gracedc.grace Member Posts: 13
    I have always used Brew Safe with no problems but I have recently been unsettled by some who tell me that Brew Safe (Sodium Percarbonate) is only a cleaner and not a steriliser.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Brew Safe is a sanitiser so is not as harsh as a steriliser such as VWP, no rinse sanitisers such as Brew Safe are more popular and used for general cleaning of home brew equipment, if you are cleaning something particularly badly stained or ingrained then opting for a harsher steriliser may help. The great thing with Brew Safe is that it is much safer for the environment and cleans well, there are never any reports of problems with it, some genuine customer reviews are on the products:

https://www.home-brew-online.com/search/brew-safe-m96/brew-safe