Options

First time keg use

Crilly4069Crilly4069 Member Posts: 12
edited June 2019 in Beer Brewing
Finally my beer which has been in the corny keg is ready to drink, two quick question, firstly pouring a few pints resulted in a glass full of froth, had to wait for it to settle before drinking, any advise on avoiding this, using a party tap. Secondly don't tend to drink during the week so what is the best way of cleaning the tap and beer line ready for next weekend, can seem to run water through it.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Crilly4069, it would be worth just reducing the serving pressure in the keg as this can cause excess froth and foam, and when you pour open the tap fully - if you only half open the tap this causes more froth. Finally, chilling the keg will also help to reduce froth is this is possible to do.

Cleaning the tap between drinks is quite difficult, the beer hose is designed to hold the beer so cleaning of the line and tap between use is not normally necessary, it just needs to be cleaned after each batch is finished.
  • Options
    Crilly4069Crilly4069 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try and reduce the serving pressure and see what happens, one last question, on the beer that I have poured so far does not appear to have any carbonation, can't see any bubbles rising, is this due to the excessive foam when pouring. I followed you video guide to corny kegs to the letter. It is a wherry ale. Could the beer loose it carbonation over time, been in the keg for about 2 months
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Often with beers it will have only light carbonation, especially if at room temperature. If you wanted more carbonation you could try increasing the pressure to around 30 psi and then roll the keg on it's side to help it absorb the CO2 into the beer, then leave it for a couple of days and it will increase the carbonation. Then lower the pressure back down to serving pressure - around 5 psi. Hopefully this will help
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Member Posts: 38
    I tend to pour it into a jug first and give it a short time to settle. Then into the pint pot. You can decide how much head you want even.