Options

How to carbonate after months?

ChemcamChemcam Member Posts: 6
Due to busy life and going on holiday I have left my cider for just under 2 months in the fermenter. Am I correct that if I add sugar when bottling there will be no carbonation as the yeast will be all dead? Should I mix in some fresh yeast to the 23L fermenter with some sugar and then bottle straight away or leave a day. I clearly don't know what I am doing but I have 46L of cider I don't want to lose.

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Just bottle it as normal.

Only thing I would check is that given its been 2 months, to make sure no contamination has gone in and ruined it, it maybe have a weird looking formation on the top, that's not necessarily something to worry about, but if it stinks of vinegar, it's no good.

There will be some trace yeast in it, you only need the tiniest amount to start feeding and multiplying in your bottles.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Brilliant, I knew someone would be able to share their experience.
    I moved 1 batch into a carboy to prevent autolysis about 2 weeks ago and it looks good. Will check the other batch, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    It very much varies on the yeast, but some types of yeast can naturally ferment sugar suspended in liquid to up to about 20% ABV ish (maybe slightly more depending on conditions etc).

Basically if the ABV gets too high, the yeast will effectivly kill itself on its own poo (alcohol), as the enviroment is too toxic for it to survive.

That being said, trace amounts of yeast seem to manage to get in to anything, ever made a batch of green tomato chutny or similar? No matter how well you sterilised the container, after a year or so in a cupboard at room temperature, it will start fermenting, that slightly fizzy taste? Thats right, its alcohol, all be it, in very low concentrations.

But assuming your cider isnt anywhere near 20%, there will be plenty of yeast suspended in the solution, all be it, slightly dormant given there is no sugar left to feed on.

Just like any small or single celled organism, once it has a food source it'll feed and multiply, so once bottled with priming sugar, it'll feed and multiply and make more "poo" which is basically alcohol and carbon dioxide (carbonation) plus some other by products which you really dont need to concern yourself with.

Brewing alcohol is in it's basic form, very easy, people have been doing it for centuries, getting it to taste good, now that is where the skill lies!

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Interesting read. I didn't realise yeast were so hardy. Your right my cider is no where near 20% only 7% so should be fine. I found someone share that they used apple diluting juice and concentrated fresh apple juice and their cider was like shop bought. Shame I can't find forum discussion on it now for quantities though. Ordered stuff from homebrew online for bottling the cider so as soon as it arrives I will bottle it.
    Going to try concentrated apple juice when bottling with half the quantity (23L) and try pasturising with 80oC water in a tall stock pot. Fingers crossed.
    The other half 23L I will bottle with sugar added.