Grapefruit IPA recipe

IianIian Member Posts: 5
Hi guys.

Now this might sound like a daft question, but stay with me...

I've just ordered a crafty fox IPA refill. But want to give it a grapefruit twist (think Elvis juice). Should I add grapefruit segments to the demijohn (with liquid, if so, how much?) Or use the peel from grapefruits and treat it as a hop addition in the boil??

Never tried this before, so if anyone can help, would be greatly appreciated!!

Iian.

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hey, you can tweak brews and add things to get them to your liking when experimenting it is a bit tricky to say how much to add though. Mangrove Jacks do a pink grapefruit IPA designed to be like Elvis Juice, it uses Simcoe and Cascade hops to achieve this.

If you prefer to use grapefruit then you could perhaps try the juice to give it some flavour, some say not to use grapefruit juice in beer though so it would be worth some more research. It might be best to go down the hop route, you can customise a brew with the hops to give it the flavour you want:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/beer-kits-c1/mangrove-jacks-craft-series-beer-kit-pink-grapefruit-ipa-le-p3240
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    I am 100% purely guessing here, but I think you'll struggle. Possibly adding some grapefruit zest in like dry hopping towards the end might work, in a moslin bag so you dont get floaty bits.

I think if you put grapefruit juice in, it'll just ferment out the sugar in it, and leave a more acidic taste in the beer which wont be nice. Grapefruit is full of citric acid and that in it's purer form (which it will be after the sugar is gone) is just nasty.

You'd almost be better brewing the beer through as normal and adding a small touch of grapefruit juice in the glass when drinking it.

I have the magrove Jacks grapefruit kit sitting in secondary fermentation, probably about a month away from trying it, I will let you know if its any good.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • IianIian Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments guys. I agree about the juice, no point in that. But the peel might be useful.

I found this recipe, which I am going to try out after I've made this IPA up.

https://blog.kegoutlet.com/how-to-prepare-and-add-grapefruit-to-an-ipa/