Options

Coopers Irish Stout

BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
I meant to write this ages ago as I am actually having the last bottle of the batch.

I brewed this using regular brewing sugar, and I think it is probably one that does actually need the spray malt/malt extracts. My beer was very thin, like any other ale or lager, and again, poured
just like any other with normal fizz.

I would be interested to try it again, but this time with all the extras, in fact I think I will do just that on my next order to settle my curiosity.

I don't normally like some Stouts I find them a bit rich and heavy for me, but this made quite a light tasting beer for a stout, I prefer the flavour of this one to Guinness and others I've tried which is very postive.

Im gonna give it four stars, it's pretty good but I would go for other kits first, but that is mainly due to Stout not being my first choice anyway.
Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    Also I should add, at £12.62 as currently listed on HBO - it is fantastic value.

I was actually given this one as a christmas present.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's interesting to know, if lacking some body then Coopers suggest Enhancer 3 but you could use any spraymalt or brew enhancer, if not wanting the full body and flavour then perhaps spraymalt medium rather than dark, it will add to the cost of course though. A Kg of brew enhancer might be a compromise maybe
  • Options
    I decided I will try the Coopers Enhancer 3, I'll brew it again and repot back, be a few months though.

Cheers
  • Options
    Ok so just tried the first few pints of the same kit but this time with the added brew enhancer, as above, I used the coopers Enhancer 3.

It does do exactly as it says, gives the beer much more of a body, which really adds to this kit. The wife also really likes this one.

The brew enhancer is £6.95 though, so that works out at nearly £20 all in, (at current prices) which does put this into premium territory. I think it is probably worth it though on this particular kit.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Great to know, with pub/shop bought stouts often having more body, using an enhancer/spraymalt will give it more body and flavour and stouts can often benefit from this more than lighter brews. The Coopers range do all continue to be popular even though they are just 1 tin kits so have less ingredients, the quality keeps people coming back for more