Options

OG sat at 1.020

Gary1240Gary1240 Member Posts: 42
Hi all, I'm in the process of brewing a Geordie lager kit and the reading is sat at 1.020. It's been brewing now for 7 days. This seems a little high as the instructions say it should read 1.005. Followed instructions to the letter and the temp has been between 20/22 degrees. Should I leave it a little longer to see if the reading gets nearer to 1.005 before I transfer to my keg. Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It does sound a little on the high side but the temperature is good, try giving it a stir with a sterilised spoon or paddle to re-suspend the yeast, this will often help it complete the last bit if needed
  • Options
    drewbarbdrewbarb Member Posts: 1
    HBO_Staff said:

It does sound a little on the high side but the temperature is good, try giving it a stir with a sterilised spoon or paddle to re-suspend the yeast, this will often help it complete the last bit if needed

How vigorously do you recommend the stirring to be? Should the sludge be disturbed?

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hey drewbarb, if a brew stops before the fermentation is complete then a good stir to mix the yeast back in can often help to get it going. Disturbing the sediment will make it cloudy again but this will settle, just checking the temperature is in the right range also helps, and hopefully the brew will then complete the fermentation - if the hydrometer reading still remains high then a second yeast may be required to help it finish off (although if the reading is quite close to the suggested final gravity reading this is usually fine)
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Member Posts: 38
    Has the temperature gone above the yeast recommended values? The yeast could be dead. Is there still signs of fermentation?
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Member Posts: 38
    If there are still bubbles on the surface then give it a genital stir on the surface to get rid of the bubbles. You could then get a small amount of sugar and add this. to the top. If it is active it should froth up. If it is dead then you could add fresh yeast. I have never done this but you can ask for help on the forum.