Options

Flat Beer

Have brewed and bottled a Mango Ipa and followed instructions on the kit as usual. However this time I added some finings to the secondary fv and left to sit for a couple of days to settle after adding the priming sugar. I bottled the beer about 2 weeks ago (left in the boiler cupboard at around 20 degrees) and decided to try one last night just to see how it was coming along. Unfortunately it was as flat as a pancake. Tasted good but absolutely zero carbonation. Will the carbonation develop? Have I sampled too early? Did adding the finings affect the priming sugar? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2018
    Hi MoodieBrews, you have added the priming sugar so that is good and that sugar will secondary ferment and create some carbonation in the bottles. Because you used finings though this is probably what is slowing the secondary fermentation down - the finings help to clear the brew and settle suspended yeast out of the beer, but this does mean that there is less yeast left in the beer to work on the priming sugar so the secondary fermentation can take much longer. If possible try to keep the beer around 20 degrees C so the secondary fermentation can get going, perhaps an extra week or two, usually it is just a case of giving it more time if you have used finings and the beer will carbonate as usual.
  • Options
    TheMoodieBrewsTheMoodieBrews Member Posts: 32
    cheers guys! fingers crossed as I put a lot of time and love into this brew!
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It is highly likely it is just time that is needed