Options

Carbonation issues

I started all grain 4 brews ago and I am struggling with carb levels, I tried bulk like I used to when I did extract and it was to much, I then tried half sugar cubes that was also to much carbonation, I’m looking for tips on this, I checked my levels before I bottled 3 days apart, no movement so I have bottled. Do I need to drastically reduce the amount of sugar? If so any recommendations!
Any help appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    There are usually 2 main reasons for too much carbonation, either too much priming sugar is added, or the brew was not quite finished fermenting and has continued to ferment in the bottles. As a general guide around half to a level teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle will give steady carbonation to a 500ml bottle.

It sounds like you checked the readings of the brew before bottling, if the readings were constant and as low as the would go then this usually shows that they have finished fermenting do you know what the final gravity reading was before bottling?
  • Options
    MancpeteMancpete Member Posts: 9
    OG was 1,062 and Fg was 1,012, no of the bottles got more carbonated as time went on they all stayed pretty much the same, I put a half sugar cube in every 330 bottle. What’s the recommendation for bulk carting?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2018
    1.012 is a fairly standard final gravity so would suggest they have completed the primary fermentation, just under half a teaspoon of sugar per 330ml bottle will usually be OK for beers. If you want to batch prime it in a vessel before bottling then around 60 to 80g of sugar for a 40 pint batch should give standard carbonation.

What you can do though is experiment with varying amounts of sugar per bottle, and just label each bottle so you know how much you put in each - you can then find the level of carbonation you prefer