King keg pressure

CadfaelCadfael Member Posts: 11
It seems that I have now figured out how to keep my king keg pressurised my next question is what is the right amount of pressure? I was given a beer kit for Christmas and the instructions are pretty vague. There is no mention of OG or FG just saying leave the beer for 10 days then bottle which I did so I’m not sure if I have barrelled it too soon. It goes on to say put the bottles in a warm place for secondary fermentation which I did yesterday. Checking the barrel this morning the pressure is at 7psi and I can’t find any mention of a king kegs working pressure. Any ideas?

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Quite often the ingredients are vague on hydrometer readings, the general rule is that you are looking for a low and constant reading - as a guide many standard strength beers are around 1.014 to 1.010 and the reading needs to stay the same for at least 24 hours to show it has stopped fermenting.

Barrel pressure is not stated but if using the disposable CO2 bulbs then ad done as and when needed to keep the flow of beer coming from the tap. If using a cylinder then you need to keep the pressure high enough for the beer to flow out steadily, around 7 to 8 psi is will usually keep it flowing without being excessively frothy
  • CadfaelCadfael Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2018
    The FG was at 1.012 for 24 hours, since I checked the barrel pressure when I got up it has risen to 8psi this is all from secondary fermentation and was barrelled yesterday, the keg isn’t bowing but I wondered how high the pressure may go.
    edited June 2018
    Was also wondering how the pressure release valve works?
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That sounds good, 1.012 is quite low and with a barrel it will vent any excess pressure if needed, 8psi is what ours are often around. The pressure release valve is quite simple, the valve has 2 rubber 'band' seals - one expands and allows the gas in and then seals back up to keep it in. The other is closed and expands when the pressure gets too high, this allows the excess pressure out and then closes back down once the pressure is low enough again
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    The more basic plastic barrels state max psi of 15, so only guessing of course, but I'd figure a king keg would be similar. I don't think your at any risk of blowing it at 8 psi.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
    I
    have now figured out how to use my King Keg, thanks you all for your help. This beer from Make Your Own Drinks has worked out brilliantly.