Mould growing on top of cider & perry?

AnAppleADayAnAppleADay Member Posts: 2
Hi folks,
Looking for someone to hopefully deny (but probably confirm) that this is mould on top of my latest batches of cider and perry? I suspect the culprit was the perry, as it's my first time making it and the pears may have sat for too long before I pressed them. If it is mould, is there any way for me to salvage these batches? Be pretty pissed off if I have to tip them both down the drain!

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome, it is a little hard to see from the photo and brews do sometimes have bits etc, it can be dead yeast cells, it would be worth checking to see if the brew has a strong smell of vinegar as this can be a sign of contamination. If the brew smells and tastes OK then the dead yeast cells can be removed
  • AnAppleADayAnAppleADay Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response, I didn't smell or taste anything out of the ordinary surprisingly, so presumably it must have just been some sort of benign biofilm produced by the cultured yeast? Either way, have bottled both batches and fingers crossed that they'll be fine.
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    More often than not, as long as they are not contaminated it will be fine, time will tell but let us know how you get on when ready to drink and opened