Options

Flexible heat pad.

I've bought one of the flexible heat pads as I'm going to be brewing lager in an outside building.
As it doesn't have any instructions I'm after some advice.

Will it be effective in a cold room? Does it have to be regularly monitored or will it be pretty constant temp wise?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The Better Brew heat pads are permanently on and give of a constant gentle heat, keep a regular check on the temperature ideally using an LCD thermometer fixed to the vessel is quick and easy. If it gets up to temperature then just use the heater pad and as and when needed. If it does not get warm enough then reduce heat loss by carefully insulating the vessel. If you want an automated set up then perhaps consider a temperature controller:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/inkbird-itc-308-plug-n-play-digital-temperature-controller-p2452
  • Options
    DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
    Ooh thanks. Might have to get me one of them!
  • Options
    timwilliams19timwilliams19 Member Posts: 10
    The Ink Bird temperature controllers are very good and I now have two and I don't regret buying them*. I found the flexible pad struggled to get up to and maintain the set temperature of 22.5 degrees in a cool but not cold room. I had another brew going at the same time using a 35W (rigid) heating pad and that had no trouble keeping to the set temperature.I would suggest some form of insulating jacket if the room is cool or cold when using the round, flexible pad(?)

*Although being a bit of a gimmick freak the new Tilt devices look very interesting!!!
  • Options
    DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
    > @timwilliams19 said:
    > The Ink Bird temperature controllers are very good and I now have two and I don't regret buying them*. I found the flexible pad struggled to get up to and maintain the set temperature of 22.5 degrees in a cool but not cold room. I had another brew going at the same time using a 35W (rigid) heating pad and that had no trouble keeping to the set temperature.I would suggest some form of insulating jacket if the room is cool or cold when using the round, flexible pad(?)
    >
    > *Although being a bit of a gimmick freak the new Tilt devices look very interesting!!!

Thanks.

The pad was actually pretty good. Along with putting a fleece round the FV I managed to maintain a temp between 20 and 22 degrees.

It would definitely not of maintained if without the fleece though.