Have I killed it?

I hab a Norfolk Wherry kit as a present which I forgotten about. With Christmas looming decided to brew. After sprinkling the yeast on 17/11 I noticed the sachet had expiry of July 2017. SG was 1040. After 1 week I pepped up yeast with yeast nutrient to get a slow bubbling. This first fermentation was in cloakroom next to central heating boiler at about 20 degrees. On 22/11 SG had stabilised at 1016 so decided to go for secondary in my pressure barrel. two days in airing cupboard then left to rest in living room at 20 degrees - yes we keep a cool house.
A test draw on Wed 6th and again today gives a golden but cloudy brew and with a bitter winey taste.
Have I killed it?

Philip

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Philip, the yeast being past its best before it not usually a big problem, it just means the yeast will start to become less effective. Yeast past its best before is commonly used and usually with no issues, and your final gravity reading of 1.016 shows it had fermented nicely and was about ready for barrelling.

Because the brew is still cloudy it is likely it needs longer to condition, it will clear and carbonate and this is when it develops its full flavour - the longer you leave it the better. Once clear try it again, but for best results give it longer and the flavours will get better once clear and carbonated, a few degrees cooler might help it clear faster, but it is not essential
  • Captain_PugwashCaptain_Pugwash Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I will move barrel to french window ledge which is cooler at this time of year and see if beer is drinkable by Christmas. Still cloudy but correct colour.

Is it worth a CO2 squirt to top up the natural carbonation and would this accelerate clearing? (Hambleton Bard 30 cylinder and valve barrel cap).
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the brew has started producing it's own CO2 and the barrel has some pressure then it will be fine, if it has no pressure then injecting a little CO2 wont do any harm - it would usually have a little pressure in here by now so if there is none then perhaps just make double sure the barrel is sealing fully