Brew flat after 2 weeks in Keg

Horlock07Horlock07 Member Posts: 7
edited November 2017 in General Home Brew Chat
Its a Woodforde Sun Dew kit and was racked into the barrel with the suggested 85g of brewing sugar. Had 2-3 days in a room at around 18 degrees and then moved to a cool garage. First test yesterday after 14 days in the keg and whilst its clearing and tastes OK it is flat as a pancake, is this normal, will putting a couple of CO2 bulbs into the keg help?

Ta muchly for and advice.

Comments

• BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    On the assumption you have it in a keg I would guess you have a leak. Should be some carbonation in there.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Horlock07Horlock07 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2017
    Thanks, popped the lid off this morning and as suspected there is no pressure in it, looking at the washer under the lid it seems to have pinched up in certain areas and not in others, will reset the washer in the grove, steralise and try again.

Thanks,

After sealing again, would it be an idea to put some more sugar in and transfer to a warm place again to try and get some pressure into it?
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the washer had not sealed fully then gas would have escaped, if you ensure the seal is in place and screw the lid back on firmly it should then pressurise. If it has been a weeks or so then adding a little extra sugar wont do any harm, add say 30g before it is re-sealed, and try to keep around 20 degrees for the first week, it should then re-pressurise
    edited December 2017
    Unfortunately I have now tried to real seal the lid twice and on both occasions subsequently introducing a CO2 bulb just illustrates that the lid is not sealing, as the keg came from HBO in late October I will have to contact you regarding return and replacement.

The returns bit of the website does not seem to be working, could you please advise how I should go about returning the product and is it the whole keg or just the lid I should return?

Thanks for your help.
    It may well have a faulty lid or seal, in which case it needs replacing. If you haven't already then would you mind taking a look at this link, it has some things to try and 9 times out of 10 it solves the issue - there are few things just to check and the valves themselves are very simple devices, hopefully this will highlight the issue:

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/209/barrel-problems-co2-injector-cap-leaking-tap#latest

If none of the points work and everything seems OK if you send us the lid back we will test it and find out what is wrong and rectify asap for you, just enclose your name and address details in the return so we can find your original order and the return address is:

Home Brew Online Ltd
    Unit 9 Harrier Court
    Airfield Industrial Estate
    Elvington
    York
    North Yorkshire
    YO41 4EA
    Tried everything on the list, tightened as hard as I could get it and it seemed to seal and with a CO2 bulb got some gas into it and it was a nice brew. But came back to it a few days later and it was flat again and putting another bulb it you could tell it was leaving round the cap base not the injector.

Will post it back to you today probably.

Thanks.
    OK thank you, if it is leaking from under the cap itself then it is possible the top of the barrel neck is not quite flat and the washer under the lid is not making a seal, we'll test it and find out what is happening and sort out for you, that is no problem