Options

Fermentation heaters

BrewNerdBrewNerd Member Posts: 33
Hi
I'm looking for advice for maintaining a constant temp on a 15 ltr plastic fermentation vessel. I was wondering if anyone could help decide if a heat pad or belt is better. Or is there something else to consider? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2017
    Brew belts and pads will both work and increase the temperature, often it is personal preference, and the main thing to bear in mind is how you will control the heat. The blue Better Brew versions are permanently on so will keep heating until they can't increase the temperature any more, this will vary depending on the volume of liquid and the room temperature. You either need to keep a check on the temperature and turn the heater on and off as needed, perhaps with a timer, or may need to insulate your vessel to reduce heat loss if it is not getting warm enough.

Alternatively, perhaps consider using a controller to monitor the temperature and turn the heater on and off as and when needed, this is a great set-up:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/inkbird-itc-308-plug-n-play-with-flexible-heater-pad-p2471

(It is temporarily off sale but more are due in the next few days so will be back on sale very shortly).
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Apologies if I am jumping in here, but I use one of these immersion style heaters:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/electrim-te75-immersion-heater-p721

I love it, completely hassle free once you have it tweaked to the right temperature. As it has an in built thermostat it keeps the temperature so external conditions do not affect it so much.

You will have to dangle it in to your fermentation vessel which means so you will a bung size hole in the top of whatever you are brewing in, so something to consider.

Puts out enough heat also, keeps my 25 ltr plastic fermenatation vessel warm in my garage which is completely unheated otherwise, even in the middle of winter and I do not need to add any additional insulation around my fermentation vessel.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    BrewNerdBrewNerd Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the advice earlier. I would definitely want to regulate the temperature so brew better pad might not be for me. I do like the one with the controller. I also like the immersion heater so still some decisions needing to be made. Thanks for the feedback.