Options

1.7kg wine kit will not wake up.

Emptied content into sterilised fermenter. Poured in 3 litres of cooled boiled water, added 3.5 kg of granulated sugar and stirred well to dissolve all the sugar. Added cold water to 23 litre mark. Took Hydrometer reading, S.g. 1.066. Sprinkled yeast and yeast nutrient that came with kit onto wine. Stirred and sealed with air lock. Thermometer on Fermenter reading 24c. It’s now been one and a half days and no sign of fermentation. I have given it another stir but still no action. Should I empty another yeast sachet and nutrient to get it going. The instructions say it should finish fermenting in about 7 days before adding the stabiliser and findings. It would be nice to just get it started. I look forward to your expertise and advise. Thank you. Regards.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    As long as the temperature of the liquid is within the range recommended then the yeast should be fine, issues with yeasts are exceptionally rare, if the liquid was too hot when added then this can harm the yeast.

It is not uncommon to see little or no signs of fermentation so the only true way to know how it is doing is by taking hydrometer readings, have you checked to see what the current reading is as this should have began to lower if it is fermenting? If the reading is exactly the same then it is best to add a new yeast just to be sure it gets going
  • Options
    BallsbrewsBallsbrews Member Posts: 8
    After two days the fermentation started after another stir. I am beginning to learn how different brews vary so much. I think it adds to the fun of brewing. Again I thank you for your help and support.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's great news, a stir can help as it re-suspends the yeast and can mix in oxygen and can encourage it to get to work, it should now ferment as usual and can be checked with a reading to make sure when it has completed