Options

Gonna have a go at wine

I've got a spare demijohn, got a grapevine in the garden, so gonna have a crack.

I have no idea what kind of grapes they are, other than they are blush red, but there are quite a lot of them, and actually they are not that bad to eat although smaller then what you would get in shops. Think I will crush them all up, then pass them through a muslin, put the juice in the demijohn, wang in some yeast, see what happens.

What is the worst that can happen?
Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Sounds like a plan, you might as well make use of them and should end up with a few bottles of good wine, let us know how you get on with it
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Hah,

Just bottled it, got 2 full bottles and about a glass worth in a 3rd. Tasted a bit, wasnt actually that bad considering its made from random unknown garden grapes! I will keep the 2 full bottles for some months and try them again, the glass worth I might have with my dinner tonight.

Left it brewing ages, maybe 3 weeks, the demijohn was full of this wierd lookign stuff, I guess some of the solids out of the grapes, but it all eventually sank to the bottom.

Also surprised how clear it went and ended up as white wine, despite the grapes being a blush red.

This may trigger a start to brewing wine also now, just in small batches to use my demijohn, so if you can recommend a kit that would work for a demijohn rather than a big 5 litre vessel, I normally prefer a lighter red wine like a Shiraz.

Cheers.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's great, well worth a try with your grapes just for the cost of some yeast, if you seal it up and leave away from UV light for a while this could develop into a nice wine.

If you fancy trying a 6 bottle refill then the Beaverdale range have some good red and rose wines including a Shiraz, no need to add sugar, all the ingredients are included in the pack, and there are a few to choose from too:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/wine-kits-c24/beaverdale-m3#t180:t74:t76