Options

Brewferm Diabolo question

sintarasintara Member Posts: 32
hi i bought Brewferm Diabolo befor xmass last year and still have it i bought it with the candi sugar crystals option BUT my question is what do i do with the candi sugar crystals do i melt them before i put them in as it dont say ???????

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Using candy crystal sugar is quite a popular thing to do with the Brewferm range and some darker beers, and it can help to give it more flavour. After you have added the Diabolo refill ingredients into your fermenting vessel then you can add the hot water and the candi crystals, the malt extract and sugars will then mix in and dissolve, and the brew can then be topped up with cool water to get it to the right total volume
  • Options
    ah i see so i add it to the mix right away its not for carbing ok thank you
  • Options
    You can add the candi crystal in place of the sugar you would normally add at the start, if you wanted to use for priming the bottles/barrel you could do that too - but in that case you could just add some to each bottle and weigh them out/weight enough for the barrel, it would help it to dissolve and get secondary fermentation going more quickly if you were to dissolve the candi sugar in a little hot water first to make a liquid, then prime with the sugar liquid.
  • Options
    i think i may have messed this kit up the instructions are overly complicated i could not understand how much water to put in i brewed it to 15 ltr it seems it should of been 7 gal brewfferm kits seem to have this unnecessary complicated instructions
  • Options
    The Diabolo is intended to be brewed to 9 litres in total, if you have made to a total of 15 litres then it will just make it weaker in flavour and alcohol strength.

Some people use 2 tins of Diabolo, then add 1kg of sugar, and make it to a total volume of 18 litres - in effect a double batch.
  • Options
    i knew id messed it up the instructions for there kits are really hard to understand