Options

Which seal for pressure barrel injector?

Hi can I have a bit of help please?

I am going mad trying to figure this out.

I am having issues with the pressure injectors on my keg leaking.

The keg is loosing pressure, all be it slowly, but I pressurise it in the evening and the next day its flat.

I have checked the rubber band on the very lower outlet hole of the valve which is fine. I have checked the rubber band around the upper pressure release valve which again appears fine.

I have a few spares valves now, so I actually modified one of them, by blocking up all of the pressure release holes with metal epoxy (I figure you gotta really over do your dose at secondary to create enough pressure to blow a 15psi rated keg, and I'll take the risk) which will completely eliminate leaking through the pressure release system, but even with that valve it still leaked.

I have also tried swapping the lids/valves around and still the leak.

The keg is nearly full and there are definately no liquid leaks, so unless there is a crack in the plasic join of the barrel above the water line (which I would consider unlikely, nor can I obviously see anything) I cant think where else it could be leaking from. I have also put a fair bit of lubrication (I use a thick red grease I use for mechanical jobs but I guess somewhat similar to vaseline) around everything.

The only thing I can think of now is that is must be leaking through the rubber washer that sits underneath the screw cap lid of the keg between the valve, either that, or the rubber seal that goes inside the top of the screw cap, that would be sat on top of the thread of the barrel screw when the lid on screwed on.

If available, would you please be able to reply with a link to both of these seals on your website (or ebay shop) so I can get a few spares and swap them out and see if it does the trick.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Budforce, this is unusual and as you say the main culprits tend to be the two rubber 'band' seals, so if they are fine and covering the holes this is probably not it. It may be worth replacing all the rubber seals and there is a pack to do this, just in case the are not sealing for any reason:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/spare-barrel-valve-multi-washer-pack-youngs-p599

It could be the seal where the valve connects to the lid, but if nipped up this would usually rule that out, or it could be the seal under the lid not making a good seal with the neck of the barrel. First thing we suggest, swap all the rubber seals over, and hopefully that will do it, if the barrel has sealed in the past then this would usually confirm that the neck of the barrel is OK and not mis-shaped from manufacture, but if it has never sealed then it might be the barrel neck is not 100% flat so the 2" rubber washer is not sealing on the neck fully.

These are the 2" rubber neck seals that go under the cap available on their own - just as a check you can fit it with 2 - if that makes the seal then it can show the neck is not sealing fully with the lid:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/home-brew-online-spare-washer-2-inch-barrel-cap-washer-single-p2283

Let us know how you get on
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    Just a thought... if its a new brew have you considered turning the barrel on its side to see if there is any leakage from the lid? Might not want to do this if there is any sediment built up already.
    Colin
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    WierdFish said:

Just a thought... if its a new brew have you considered turning the barrel on its side to see if there is any leakage from the lid? Might not want to do this if there is any sediment built up already.

Not a bad idea but it'll throw all the sediment up as it has been sitting for quite a while, however before I put beer in it again next time, I will definately do this with some soapy water, and pressurise that as it'll be easier to see liquid/foamy water come out.

I've actually tried it with my other keg which needed cleaning out anyway.

Not leaking at all, filled it with soapy water, dried everything off outside, then pressurised it and nothing is coming out but ill leave it overnight to see. This keg I bought about 6 months ago.

The keg I'm having the problems with is 2 years old and never had problems before, I wonder if the shape of the necks are slightly different and have pushed those 2" seals in to different positions as Ive screwed the lids down on the neck of each. I've probably swapped the lids around without even thinking about it, and the shape of the neck of the new keg may have just pushed the seal around so it now doesnt sit right on the old one.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Seals ordered, seems I had a bit of money in the E-Wallet so didnt actually cost me anything, bonus!
  • Options
    OK just a quick update, that other keg kept pressure for 24 hours. Just tried it today loads of pressure in there.

As that keg is not in use, I've taken that lid and put it on the keg full of beer, pressurised it and ill see tomorrow. If it looses pressure then its definately something related to that keg and not the valve.
  • Options
    Yup flat as a pancake.

So it has to be either that 2" seal or the keg itself, but if its the latter would have to be over the water line on a nearly full keg.
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    Maybe the neck of the 'dodgy' keg is not cut level and the lid/seal is not sitting square. No chance of decanting the brew into the good barrel?
    Colin
  • Options
    Hah cracked it (no pun intended haha)

Turns out the keg itself has a crack in it. Filled it with water, pressurised it and turned it upside down and noted a drip, and on closer inspection you can actually see where a crack has formed.

Somewhat please I know what it is finally, was driving me mad, new keg on my next order then!

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Bad news about the keg of course but great news you've found it and the cause of the leak