Options

Growth ontop of beer in fermenting vessel, eeeew!

MikeHMikeH Member Posts: 67
I have just brewed a batch of beer, it took ages to ferment but I've had that happen before with no adverse affects. The hydrometer reading was around the correct number (1008 I think it was) for the beer but it continued to glug through the airlock so I knew it wasn't done. This continued on for weeks and finally seemed to have slowed down so I sterilised my 2nd bucket and all the syphon equipment etc. and transferred it to the 2nd bucket. Left it for a few days before bottling. Bottled 51 days after starting. Hydrometer reading was now 1002 (lower than the kit instructions indicated it should be).

The 2nd bucket had some hop staining on it from my previous brew so I left it brimmed with scorching hot water and VWP over night. It was completely clean before I used it and I'm always careful sterilising the equipment, however when I took the lid of the bucket near the end of bottling I was dismayed to see these string-like structures floating on the top of the beer and scum all down the sides of the bucket which had obviously been floating on top and been pulled to the sides as the level reduced during bottling.

I'll try and attach the photos I took to this post. If any one knows what that might be and if it is harmful please let me know. I don't think I got any of it in the bottles, once I saw it I was careful not to bottle any of it.

Cheers, Mike...

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    So you reckon mine is just yeast formations too? Those you linked to were impressive.

I noticed yours was on Festival Razorback IPA, I've brewed that kit a couple of times, both times very long fermentation but so worth it, that beer is amazing. Hope yours turned out well. Mine with the above growth was a Burton Bridge Bitter kit. Have brewed that one before (got a dented tin from HBO) and it was a fantastic tasting pint. I'm hoping this one tastes just as good, in spite of the growth!

Cheers, Mike...
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The formations look as though it may have become contaminated, does it have any unusual smells or taste to it? Possibly vinegary maybe? 51 days sounds like a very long fermentation period, perhaps it was brewed on the cool side or the yeast was old?
  • Options
    It didn't smell or taste bad, thankfully. It was very long, just kept on bubbling even though it was down to gravity. I've had that before with the Razorback IPA, that one was 56 days but it turned out to be a stunning pint. I'm less convinced this one will be, there was very little sediment in the bottom of the 2nd bucket yet the bottles have a fair bit clinging to the sides (unusual) and some have some floaty bits on top. I really hope I've not ruined this batch as that beer is normally a really nice pint. The yeast wasn't out of date, was the sachet that came with the kit. There were some cooler days and some down right hot days during fermentation so I don't think temperature has too much to do with it although I'm pretty sceptical those aquarium thermometers stuck to the side of the brewing bucket are all that accurate. I'd like to get one of those temperature controllers for my heat mat when funds allow, I think that'll provide a much more stable temperature for the brewing process.

Cheers, Mike...
  • Options
    Those little stick on thermometers are actually surprisingly accurate in my experience. Within about .5c either way which is accurate enough for home brewing.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Well as it is bottled now time will tell, once ready to try probably take a look and make sure there is no kind of growth in the bottles, and then see how they smell/taste - hopefully i will turn out well but don't risk it if you think they have gone bad
  • Options
    Thanks Budforce and HBO. Will try and remember to post back in a month or two when it's ready to let you know how it turned out. I hope it isn't spoiled, would be my first bad batch if it is, would hate to throw away all that beer.

Cheers, Mike...

• Options
    Are you making sure the beer isn't too warm when you are adding the yeast? 54 days is too long, with premium kits I leave them 3 weeks or 21 days, and the Cooper's (or cheaper kits) just 2 weeks, and they have all been fully fermented. I've also done the razorback IPA and left it 3 weeks and it was fine.

How cool does your brew get at night, and how warm during be day? What are the actual temperature ranges?

What temperature is your brew when you add the yeast? Are you dissolving the wart into hot water and thoroughly stirring it so it's all mixed in? Are you making sure the liquid is oxygenated when you add the yeast? Do you keep your fermentation vessel airtight or allow it to breath?

I am just wondering all these things it shouldn't take 54 days like I said even the 3 weeks I leave mine is probably overkill.
  • Options
    Since my landlord finally got round to having the (free) cavity insulation put in my flat has been a lot warmer, may be it is too warm?

I'm afraid I don't know the night time temp. of the beer during fermentation.

So it's been in the bottle for 4 weeks now. I cracked open a small tester bottle (I usually fill 4 of those little Becks bottles to use as testers so as to waste as little beer as possible if it's not ready when I try it) last night and gave it a sniff. No vinegar smell or anything untoward. Poured it, had another sniff and a look through it. Nice and clear, good colour too. Had a tentative taste and it tasted beery, nothing bad. I'd say it's a little thin but that's often the case at only 4 weeks old so I think I've got away with it. I'm expecting it to mature as normal over the next few weeks. I'll try a full 500ml PET bottle tomorrow and see how that is.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, still can't pin point what the problem was but at least it seems to have turned out okay.

I was given a Woodforde's Wherry kit for my birthday (never brewed one of those before) and got round to brewing it last weekend. It's down to 1008 now and has pretty much stopped bubbling and that's been 5 - 6 days, much more what I'd expect. That's mostly been sat at 26c during the day which is higher than the kits instructions recommend but it seems to be fine. Will check the gravity again tomorrow and if all good will transfer it to the 2nd bucket with the tap for the Little Bottler then may be bottle on Sat.

Cheers, Mike....
  • Options
    Hi Mike, thanks for the update that is great news (just make sure there is no sign of it in the bottles), hopefully the brew is OK. Once the Wherry has finished try to bottle it as soon as you can, then as you say - the longer you leave it the better the taste will be, Cheers