Options

Flat white spots

I have flat white spots on top of my brew in the FV, is this anything to worry about. Did not notice these spots on my coopers lager when fermenting.Is it because its lager yeast that it says on the packet. Its a better brew export lager and says 10 days ferment at 20-25 degrees. I fermented at 20 degrees and was finished on day 5. Beer smelt ok but had a tang to it. I did add extra sugar at the start to strengthen it, could this be the reason for the tang or could my beer be contaminated. Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    From what you say it's probably ok.

Apparently one sign of a spoilt brew is it'll smell like vinegar, fortunately something I have never experienced first hand.

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/987/wierd-but-cool-looking-yeast-formations#latest

If you take a look at those pictures, looks like some kind of alien infestation, but actually the beer was perfectly fine.

5 days does seem a little fast though, did it have a stable gravity reading? I usually leave mine for 2 weeks, 3 for the premium kits.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    tigertank1Atigertank1A Member Posts: 6
    Looking at those pics, mine was nothing on that scale. It started normal with the usual froth and then when that more or less disappeared after 3 days i was left with a very thin layer of froth with these white circle spots, not very big and around 20 of them. OG started at 1041 FG was 1005 which stayed the same for 2 days and then i bottled. I suppose i will have to wait a few weeks to find out if its ok and will let you know. It smelt fine but did not taste to good when i bottled.
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    I'm sure it'll be fine. I leave mine longer then you need to but I'm too lazy/stupid to work out that hydrometer and I'm never in a rush, so I just leave it longer and I know it's done.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    tigertank1Atigertank1A Member Posts: 6
    Yeah thanks hope so.You say you leave it longer than the recommended time on the kit instructions, do you get a better beer by leaving it longer in the FV. The hydrometer reading can be found online where you give OG and FG and it works out the percentage for you. I just type in google HYDROMETER CALCULATOR, and click on the top one.