Options

Filling hydrometer trial glass

This is my first brew and it seems to be going well. I used a hydrometer and filled the trial glass from the FV tap. I'm now worried that there is a risk of infection as there has to be some residue in the tap no matter how small.
Question: Is using the tap to fill the trial glass okay and should I use sterilising solution to clean the tap before either taking another sample or bottling?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Filling the trial jar from the tap is the best way and you have done the right thing, there is usually nothing to worry about and this will be fine. If you find there is residue then it may be worth rinsing off the tap or wiping with a clean cloth just as a precaution, most people probably don't think to clean the tap after drawing off a sample but it would not do any harm and will keep it clean, we have heard some people say they rinse the tap and wrap it in cling film to keep it clean after use but the majority don't. We hope you enjoy the brew
  • Options
    timwilliams19timwilliams19 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for prompt reply. Mind is at rest now but might well go the clingfilm route in the future.