Options

How to do still clear cider

alexm662alexm662 Member Posts: 2
Hi does anyone know a way to do still cider without a ring sediment in the bottles?

Comments

• Options
    alexm662alexm662 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry that's meant to say does any know how to do still cider without any sediment in the bottle?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2016
    Welcome, there are few things you can do to really minimise the sediment you get in your finished brew, and if you want it as still cider then this helps too, here's a link to a few options:

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/457/cloudy-brew-sediment-a-guide-to-reducing-sediment-clearing#latest
  • Options
    JaneJane Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2016
    Hi I have made a fair bit of cider this year - probably about 30 gallons in total.
    If I'm making still, once finished fermenting I stabilise it and then rack it in to gallon demijohns. From here, I add finings. I use a 2 part fining called Kwik Clear. It's easy to see when the cider is crystal clear from demijohns (it takes 24 - 36 hours) and then I rack into bottles. Occasionally if I'm getting close to the bottom, then a tiny bit of sediment gets caught up, but generally the cider is as clear as a bell.
    I find the little bottler not quite as useful with still cider, as it draws from the bottom of the fermenting vessel and thus pulls a tiny bit of sediment with it. Not a problem for beer, lager or fizzy cider, as the sediment contains yeast which helps the secondary fermentation. For clear, still cider though, I prefer to rack into bottles from demijohns. Cheers Jane