Options

Residual CO2 in cider/lager once primary fermentation finished

JaneJane Member Posts: 37
Hi a bit of a technical question, if anyone has any ideas.
On the Wobbly Gob Cider I've just bottled and also a Cooper's Lager, both seemed to have a fair bit of residual CO2 once primary fermentation had finished. I'm sure fermentation had finished, because the Cooper's lager was at 1010 for 2 days and the cider was at 1000 for 2 days. Both were vigorous ferments in a 22C room. In fact the Wobbly Gob, did not do as it said on the tin at all and fermented right down to 1000 over a period of 10 days. Instructions indicated it would go down to 1006/1004 over 4 - 6 days.
I left both brews to clear quite a bit before bottling, but there was still a lot of CO2 in there. I know you de gas on still wines or ciders, but what's the norm with fizzy ones. Will the residual CO2 contribute to the final fizz.
Any ideas gratefully recieved.
Cheers Jx
PS The Wobbly Gob is aptly named. Bottled Sunday morning before breakfast, tried a drop left over in the jug, it was just a drop and I can tell I've had a drink! Lord knows what a full pint will do :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the brews show any signs of bubbling through the liquid or the airlock still bubbles this indicates they are still finishing off fermenting, it is important to let them completely finish before bottling. Some brews will take longer and may get lower than the guide gravity readings, the main thing is to let them finish fermenting. If you bottle before they finish then CO2 will build up in the bottles, and you don't want them to over-pressurise, in a barrel the safety vent will release any excess pressure if needed
  • Options
    JaneJane Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for reply. I think fermentation had finished, certainly all airlock activity had ended and target SG reached or indeed lower. The liquid wasn't bubbling itself, but there was gas in it. Presumably, this is residual CO2.
    What is the practice with brews you want to be fizzy. Do you still de gas as per a still wine, or is the CO2 absorbed into the drink and should priming sugar then be adjusted to take into account any CO2 already there.
    Cheers Jx