Question on the hop aroma oil

http://www.home-brew-online.com/ingredients-c45/brewferm-hop-aroma-oil-floral-p2409

So I got one of these and I want to give it a try.

Any ideas when to add it and how much?

Is it like finishing hops, so 3 days before the end in primary?

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• JaneJane Member Posts: 37
    Hi Budforce - If this is anything like the strength of oils used in cooking, then I would hazard a guess at use sparingly!
    I did have a look at it and it says 50ml suitable for up to 50litres, so it would seem to work out at 1ml per litre.
    I'd be interested to know what you think of it, once used.
    Cheers jx
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    When you add it wont have a major effect on flavour as it is adding a set amount of flavour and wont impart more the longer it is left in the brew. It is best not to add right at the start and not when the liquid is hot, how much to add is not specified by the manufacturers, but use sparingly, you can always add more to taste but not take it out again
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    I shall give it a try on my next brew and let you know, although that'll be months away before I actually get a chance to taste it, as Im starting to build up quite a backlog of beer to get through (which is a good thing really!).

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Ok so I added some of the oil to a brew I plan to bottle on Sunday.

One thing I did notice the oil itself was completely oderless, I expected a strong hop smell.