No fermentation

Hi guys,
Im a newbie on the scene, and have recently brewed to batches that never fermented. The first just never bubbled, and after a week started to smell. The second started well, but I looked under the lid, and it stopped the fermentation I think. Any ideas why all this happened? Temp for both was around 22C. How do you add the yeast? I'm confused!
Andrew

Comments

• BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Which kit did you use and how long has it been fermenting?

Some of the kits will brew pretty quickly, as little as 4-6 days some of them.

Is there a layer of sediment at the bottom of the vessel? (assuming you can see through it)

Do you have a hydrometer?

Check all these things, if it seems as if it was fermenting, it now seems to have stopped, and there is a white layer on the bottom, its likely it's done. 22c is a good brewign temperature so provided you remembered to add the yeast no reason why that shouldn't brew.

You could try taking a reading with your hydrometer, and wait 24 hours and take the reading again, if its stable it's likely done.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    As budforce said using a hydrometer will tell you whether it has finished fermenting. Some ferments can be very slow and show little sign of life. If the lid is slightly bowed and when pushed down sends bubbles through the airlock that is a sign, also if there is a Cappuccino like froth on top of the brew this also an indication of fermentation.
  • Horlock07Horlock07 Member Posts: 7
    To bump this thread I have a similar problem.

Returned to brewing after c.20 years and bought one of the starter kits with Woodforde Sundew.

Followed the instructions in the beer box and set it off, but after c.72 hours there is nothing through the airlock. The lid of the bucket is bowing upwards which suggests that there is some pressure in the bucket and thus gas is being released, but the top of the brew just looks a bit frothy (only like its been stirred up a bit not crusty)?

Any suggestions?
    Welcome, the doming all sounds good and what you describe is quite common, if you leave it to ferment around 20 degrees C and take a hydrometer reading in a few days it will show when the fermentation is complete, take a look at this link for more info if of any interest which should help:

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/903/airlock-not-bubbling#latest
    Thanks, that's a relief as it didn't seem as lively as many suggested. In terms of taking the hydrometer test I have ordered a wine thief to transfer over to the test jar so hopefully we will get somewhere.

All come on a lot since I used to brew.
    Done a hydrometer test this morning and after c.96 hours its showing 1.011 does that sound OK and like something is happening?
    That reading sounds pretty god and is what you would expect, as long as it is the same when read again in 24 hours and there are no signs of any bubbles rising up through the liquid you can continue with the instructions and bottle/barrel it