Stopped fermentation

CadfaelCadfael Member Posts: 11
Hi I'm new to home brewing, I have a woodfordes Wherry in the fermentation bucket that has stopped fermenting the hydrometer is reading 1020. I have stirred the wort today and will check it on Friday,but i'm wondering that if the reading does not drop further what else can I do. Or should i just continue and bottle as normal? Any advice would be welcome.

Happy brewing: Jeff

Comments

• BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    How long has it been brewing for?

And has the brew been kept at temperature (18-24c)?

Is there a layer of sediment at the bottom of the fermentation vessel? (assuming you have a plastic one you can see through).

Has the brew at any point foamed up at the top or bubbled in any way so far?

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • CadfaelCadfael Member Posts: 11
    Hi Budforce, the brew has been in the barrel for 9 days there was a foam on the top for 3-4 days but not a vigorous fermentation so no bubbles through the airlock. there is scum on the bottom. The brew has been between 20-24 for the 9 days as i have checked the temp 4-5 times a day.
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Probabaly done, measure the reading again, if you get the same or very similar it'll be done.

Those woodfordes kits are pretty quick to cook.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
    Thats what I thought, thanks for your help :)
    Checked again this morning and the OG has dropped to around 1014 so I'm going to bottle today. Looking forward to trying the brew in another few weeks to find out how it tastes!!