Options

Bulldog Brews - Rajas Reward IPA

BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
Bit of a weird one this one.

Creates a reasonably light, fruity almost sweet tasting beer. Its quite nice and has a good flavour punch but...

And this might be something I did wrong, but it's hasn't cleared completely and is barely carbonated. It's had a good week in secondary in the warm followed by 5-6 more in the cold bottled. Its OK and definitely drinkable, in fact the flavour is good, but I don't understand why its take ng so long, there is sediment at the bottom of the bottles though.

I opened a bottle of another brew, a Young's APA last night that has 3 weeks less than this one yet was clearer and more carbonated, so who knows.....

It may just be this particular kits needs longer, not sure if anyone else has tried it?
Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Budforce, we have made this one and it turned out well, it can take a while to secondary ferment though so give it a little more time and it should improve. If it is struggling perhaps try a week more in the warmth and then cool it again. Just one thought, if it tastes a little sweet and is cloudy we wonder if it had fully finished fermenting, did you happen to check the final gravity reading by any chance, it probably had but just as a double check?
  • Options
    I never bother using my hydrometer. I think it had finished brewing though.

I think as you say they probably need/needed longer in the warm for secondary. I'm definately putting this one down to human error, not that the brew is bad, just not quite up to my normal standards. Can't be perfect all the time I guess!

I wanted to try the Bulldog Brews - Double IPA but it was sold out last time I made an order, that one and I will get another Coopers IPA but this time dry hop it also.

I was pretty impressed by that Coopers IPA for the price.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    The IPA's are very popular at the moment, just a heads up, check out the Bulldog Brew in the next day or so as there is an offer coming up in them. The other Bulldog should improve with more time, we have had to put brews away for a few months and when we came back to them again they had sorted themselves out, hopefully this is the case here too. The cloudiness does also suggest it will improve with time
  • Options
    Great offer! Ordered 4!

Evil Dog Double IPA
    Raja's Reward IPA
    Four Finger Jack APA
    Bad Cat Imperial Red

The Bad cat I have done before and is exceptional and I'll have another crack at the Raja's reward see if I can perfect it next time. The other two I've not tried.

Do you know if and when the 20p discounts for doing the reveiws will be applied? No rush though, I reckon I done 4 or 5, every penny adds up!

Also if you have deals on like this you should announce them in the forum here if you get time, in case people are not regularly checking the main site. Put it this way, I probably wouldn't have known if it wasn't for your post above and now I've gone an ended up spending lots of money! (at least it not going to that big brewery in Northampton that makes most of the mass produced muck you get in the supermarkets). May also boost some activity here also be good to get a few more people on here posting regularly.

Cheers

• Options
    Great, thanks for the order - they have been very popular and make some great beers (and ciders) and will be with you soon. We will try to put the offers on here, that's a good idea thanks.

The reviews are about up to date so have hopefully been added now - the credit should then be applied to your e-wallet for them - any issues though just let us know.

Let us know how the brews turn out....
  • Options
    It's funny since my original post on this thread, and now, which is what, a week and a half?

The Raja's Reward has really come a long way now, much clearer with a bit more corabnoation. I guess it just needed that extra bit of time.