Options

On the Rocks Mixed Berry

BrewNerdBrewNerd Member Posts: 33
Hi. I am new to the forum. I've been brewing for a year now. I tried a cider kit last summer but was somewhat disappointed with the end result as it seriously lacked flavour. I have just purchased the OTR mixed berry kit and was wondering if anyone has tried this before? Is there a need to add some more flavour to get that nice taste? Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Welcome, some brews especially ciders can initially lack flavour, we're not sure how long you left it before drinking but it may be worth leaving longer, as many weeks as possible. We try to leave all brews for a few months as they often continue to develop flavour and improve. There are a couple of things you can try too, if you reduce the amount of liquid you add - say make a 40 pint refill kit to around 32 pints - this intensifies the flavour - but also increases the alcohol strength. You can also add additional flavouring, cordials or even crushed fruit, this will all add flavour to the brew too
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. The brew has now been bottled for 5 months (what's left of it..) with not much improvement in taste. I've been adding a drop of cordial with each bottle I pour. It was a lower end priced kit and in hindsight I would have probably done as you are suggesting now, to reduce the liquid volume. For this new one I think I'll do just that, and drop down to18 litres.Cheers.
  • Options
    The quality of the ingredients will be a big factor, the On The Rocks range are very popular and with many repeat customers, see what you think to the OTR and you might consider trying a Bulldog or Wobbly Gob at some point - they are premium kits which include much more juice rather than having to add sugar:

http://www.home-brew-online.com/cider-kits-c3#m39:m69
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    I did the OTR mixed berry around September last year and although the flavour is OK, not a very strong flavour but wife and eldest son like the flavour too, I found that it is not very fizzy. i.e. very little carbonation. I followed the instructions exactly and used a syrup/second bin method of bottling but it doesn't have that fizz on the tongue that you'd expect. If I did it again I'd up the priming sugar.
    Colin
  • Options
    Thanks weirdfish. I'll bereducing the volume to around 18 Ltd so that should increase the intensity of the taste. I'll have a bottle of cordial ready when I add the favour just in case it's still not strong enough. For carbing. I swear by the drops. I use 2 maxale drops in 500ml bottle. Cheers.
  • Options
    garyfentimangaryfentiman Member Posts: 19
    I make the mixed berry all the time and have never had a problem with the carbonation or the taste. I use 4 drops in a 1 litre bottle then in a warm dark wardrobe for a couple of weeks then leave for a month or 2. I've been told be a lot of friends that com round to drink it that its similar to strongbow mixed berry.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Update. I ended up reducing to 18 liters which left me with an ABV of 7.1%. Left these in the bottle for 11 weeks before trying one and was very impressed. For such a small pack on concentrate, it provides a great taste. Already order another kit..
  • Options
    That's great, reducing the volume will have concentrated it a bit, and leaving a little while really can help the flavours to develop too